How thick of Westsuit and boots for Florida Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All, I am going to Florida in a week and was wondering how thick of a wetsuit and boots I would need for dives on the Gulf side (Tampa). Most of my diving is in Lakes in the Midwest, where we use 7mm suit, hood, gloves and boots. However, I don't think I will need that. I do have a 3/2 wetsuit, so I was wondering if that would work for gulf diving, as well as if my 6mm boots would be alright as well? If not please let me know what a good recommendation would be for a suit and shoes.

Thank you

3/2 will be fine. You will see people diving in swim trunks with no suit at all. The water gets quite warm here.

MartinL74, thank you for your help. I know the water gets warm I had lived in Tampa for a number of years, but never dove into it, as I didn't get into Scuba Diving until I moved to Nebraska, go figure. I thought I would be fine also, but some people I talked too said that I would get hot and others I have read do the dive in 5 and 7 mm suits, which to me seems a little thick. I'll let you know how it goes when I come back. I see your in the Area, so you know of any good charters or sites to see while down there?

You'll find that people living in the warm climate get acclimated to it and get cold easier, and will often be the ones wearing heavier suits. The people from up north are usually the ones you'll see diving in a tshirt. Depends on the people too. There's no one right answer.

Board shorts and a rash guard is all you need this time of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Which area are you diving? If it's Tampa, I'm out. If you're diving the West Palm Beach area, there are two folks I know who are really good. You can't beat the muck diving at Blue Heron Bridge ; )

I usually dive in Bradenton, have not done Tampa yet. Heard good things about Tanks-a-lot charters. You might not really need a full suit, but I've never been too hot either.

Enought to keep you warm

Back
Top Bottom