Skipping the pre-dive checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By hearing some story 2nd or 3rd hand that's been embellished and continuing the embellishment. Its like the telephone game of the diving universe.

No... It really happened. I was there. It wasn't my buddy, but I guess he figured that he would do it when he got to depth.... turns out he couldn't.

He only made that mistake, once. :wink:

Having been the guy puking and desperate to get in the water...:depressed:

...get in the water ASAP (assuming your gas is on and you're diving a balanced rig).

I like doing a good pre-dive checklist as much as anyone else, but after you've been puking for 3 hours straight on the ride to the wreck, you're absolutely ready to get in. As a side note, I wasn't looking forward to the end of the dive, knowing I'd be puking for 3 hours on the way back in. That's what I get for taking expired Dramamine. :no:

In this case, aborting the dive would have been a horrible answer, because there were two teams, and the other team was already in the water. We would have been stuck with a violently seasick person having to spend an hour sitting on a pitching boat. He was definitely better off in the water!

I tried to do the checks, and got an ill-natured growl, "I've DONE all that!". The horrible noises that followed that statement made the issue clear . . .

I hear you Lynne! I think I would say lets do the gear check at the 6m (20ft) mark underwater (conditions permitting) and quickly review the dive plan while jumping in the water after checking all gas on. Worst case you fix something at 6m. I agree GUE EDGE should be an adaptable tool :)

Having dove with quite a few GUE trained divers for a couple of years before taking fundies, I didn't even know what GUE EDGE was until taking the class.

Having dove with quite a few GUE trained divers for a couple of years before taking fundies, I didn't even know what GUE EDGE was until taking the class.

Obviously you have never dove with Lynne!

But that can be the beauty of it... You don't even know it's "the" GUE EDGE!!! I remember a dive the three of enjoyed at P3 and Lynne DID go through the GUE EDGE... You suggested she lead the pre-dive checks, and she went through the standard GUE EDGE. I recognized it but it would not have been obvious to someone unfamiliar with the acronym.[emoji6]

(I even found some pictures from that day maybe I will figure out how to post them LOL)

---------- Post added July 21st, 2014 at 12:23 AM ----------

I thought about posting when I first saw his response; when I saw yours I had to!! Lol.
Obviously you have never dove with Lynne!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom