DSS Trim Weighting/Harness pinching questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverJohnATL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, couple of questions. I just "weight checked" myself with my new DSS SS plate/wing. First, I love it. I'm glad I went to it. I only needed 4 extra lbs to make myself "balanced". Now here are the questions. I had the weight in little weight pockets in the front/zero on the cam bands. I did notice it wanted to push me forward so I will need some trim on the cam bands, even with only enough air to keep my head above, but wow, I LOVE being able to float on my back SOO EASY!! The second involves the harness. So here are the questions.

1. Given their is only a little air in the BC and it pushes me forward which of the two bands would you recommend I try putting some trim weight in first, the top or the bottom band, I want to say the top band but want verification before undoing all those bands, etc. Would you recommend I put the pockets close to the plate on the band or further away towards the clip.
2. I am still feeling a bit of a pinch at times from the Hog harness near my armpit. I am able to put a full fist underneath the harness even with a wetsuit fairly easy. If anything I want to say it might be too loose. I wanted to get some input from you fine folks on what may be wrong....could it still be to "tight". I'm happy to try taking pictures if it helps you all.

Thanks in advance.

John, I carry all of my weight on the cam bands and the pockets are pushed as far toward the wing as possible. Lean back on the wing like riding a tube down the Hooch.

With a backplate and wing if you find yourself falling forward at the surface you need to get your tank lower. Also make sure your crotch strap is tight and is pulling your waist strap down. This will also help stop you from going forward on the surface.

As for the weighting, i like my primary weight on my waist strap, attached to the backplate to keep them from shifting. I don't like cam strap mounted weights as they tend to be an entanglement hazard.

Everyone has their personal preference, find what works for you and enjoy.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you put weight pockets on the cambands, put them close to the plate. Mass added further from your back will make you more unstable on the roll axis while you are underwater and diving.

Similarly, whether you put your weights in the top or bottom camband depends on how you balance underwater, not on the surface. If you tend to drift head-down, put them lower; if you tend to be feet-down, put them higher.

I agree that the likely solution to any forward-pitching problem on the surface is going to be tightening the crotch strap.

For the pinching -- if you are narrow across the shoulders (small man or woman) you might be more comfortable if you reweb the harness to cross the straps behind your neck. This drops the plate a little on your back, but makes the arms much more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom