Drink of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, this is going to be stupid, but haven't asked my instructor...

Anyone ever take a bottle of water diving with them? I get cottonmouth into the end of my second, but definitely on a three dive day... so I'm thinking to myself, what if I take a bottle like one of those Arrowhead brand water bottles, squeeze the top end air out, and then slip it into my pocket? 30 minutes into my dive, at a stable depth, I pull it out, pull the reg, and take a drink...

Will it work? or is there a danger in this? I mean, I swallow spit and salt water all the time, can't imagine taking a swig from a water bottle could hurt.

LOL

I would suggest you just let some water in your reg and make your breaths wetter. I sometimes will take my reg out, open my mouth, swish it around and then purge it out...Just enough to wet the whistle

It can be done, but I dont know if I would be so brave...I have watched people drink champagne underwater right out of the bottle

On really long dives I frequently take a "packet" drink with me, usually orange juice to refresh my mouth, I have also carried a banana to eat underwater too.

The most difficult part of using a packet drink is putting the straw into the foil covered hole.

A water bottle with built in straw is possible and I have seen some divers use camel backs.

Now what you DON'T do when diving at a resort new to you is use a spirits minuture bottle for a one shot type deal.
ESPECIALLY if it says Vodka on the side of the bottle.

Aparently drinking and diving is frowned on. --Whodathunk?

being serious--I have tried that trick(water in the bottle) and it diddn't go so well. I have tried a small sipper type bottle and it worked well.
The secrret though is to keep the compression on it as you sip so it doesn't try to equalise and suck salt water back in.

Anyone ever take a bottle of water diving with them? I get cottonmouth into the end of my second, but definitely on a three dive day... so I'm thinking to myself, what if I take a bottle like one of those Arrowhead brand water bottles, squeeze the top end air out, and then slip it into my pocket? 30 minutes into my dive, at a stable depth, I pull it out, pull the reg, and take a drink...
I will take water at times, but haven't tried a bottle. I have a small hydration bladder (purchased from Deep Sea Supply a number of years ago) that attaches to my BP, with a plastic sipping tube that I run up to the side of my head (DirDirect :: Cylinders & Accessories :: Accessories for Cylinders :: 14oz Hydration Bladder). I have used it primarily on longer dives (where I am using doubles), with extended deco obligations, because my mouth does get dry toward the end. I have also used it with single cylinders so it is useful beyond doubles diving.

On Lanzarote, Canary Islands, I started my Dive on the 31 of December 1999 at 11:45
at 00:00 i drinked a bottle of Champaign with my Friends on 5 meters Depth
and finished my Dive in the new Millenium 2000 at 00:15

Rather get a compressible drink container,more portable and less prone to seepage. Like a little capri-sonne

There really should be no need to carry water on a recreational dive of an hour or less. I understand longer technical dives may suggest water is appropriate. Just be castious in the regulator/ water bottle exchange. Hmmm... is that a new skill to teach in the open water class?
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom