Why are certifications valid forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most initial stages of cave diving certifications do expire. Cave diving has its own way of issuing citations.

In the Cave Divers Forum there is currently a pretty contentious thread that was started by a cave diver who was accosted and cussed out on the surface because of the overall quality of his performance on the dive he had just completed. He referred to the Cave Diving police in his post. Well, the "policeman" responded with a pretty detailed description of the horrors he had witnessed. It's a new thread, and it will be interesting to follow, but I sure has heck would not want to be the one having my perceived diving deficiencies reported to my peers, and it would certainly make me reconsider things. this works because the cave diving community is so very small that word can get around very quickly.

That was a certified cave diver. What about going in without any training? In that case, there is a much more effective citation issued all too often. Although the number of people who dive in caves without appropriate training is considered to be very small, probably only a percent or two of the total cave dives made annually, they account for most of the fatalities.

I wasn't talking about cave certifications, and neither was the OP.

If an OW diver goes into a cave, they may be accosted when they come out, but there is no citation and their certification card is not revoked, or even suspended....even though I think it should be revoked :)

I wasn't talking about cave certifications, and neither was the OP.
Sorry. I got confused when you wrote...

while in scuba diving nobody issues citations for running out of gas or going into a cave without training.

I don't need permission to go diving. In fact, I started diving more than ten years before I ever went looking for "certification".

However, you can take my PADI OW diver card and I'll use one of my IANTD cards or a TDI card or an NACD card...or just jump in a lake river or ocean with no card at all.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say Hello to MikeFerrara - when I first started diving I was an avid reader of your posts.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say Hello to MikeFerrara - when I first started diving I was an avid reader of your posts.

Hello!

I don't need permission to go diving. In fact, I started diving more than ten years before I ever went looking for "certification".

However, you can take my PADI OW diver card and I'll use one of my IANTD cards or a TDI card or an NACD card...or just jump in a lake river or ocean with no card at all.

so a certification is really not like a driver's license at all :)

so a certification is really not like a driver's license at all :)

No, they're not at all alike.

MIKE !!. Long time badehh. Where the hell have you been?

I'm still in the same place...which is much of the problem. LOL. How are you?

Good. Working too much and not diving enough….even with the barrier reef a few miles away….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom