If the seas settle down we will be making an offshore rig diving trip this Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbeardjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Join us offshore for a 3 tank diving trip thisSaturday May the 10th
We will leave from the Bridge Bait Dock in Freeport. Show at 8:00 AM, Arrive at first dive site 40 miles offshore around 9:45 AM. ETA back at dock 5:30 PM

Planned stops may include Star Reef, Liberty Ships, and or nearby platform rigs.

Star Reef is a little known cluster of six toppled platforms arranged in a tight star pattern that is part of the TPWD Liberty artificial reef site. Top is 70' and bottom is at 105'. We typically find lots of fish here including large snapper, triggers, angels, cobia, butterflies, spades and more. Nearby and also part of the same reef site are several Liberty Ships and the VA Fogg (which is mostly rubble now). Tops are 80-90'. Within a few miles there are several surface platforms in the 100' water.

$250.00/diver.
With Tanks provided $295.00/diver.

http://www.captainbeardcharters.com/

Water and soft drinks will be provided drinks provided but bring lunch and snacks. An ice chest is already on the boat to use for any personal food or drink items you need to keep cold.

nice - what are the water temps? And, any recommendations for seasick prone divers? Thanks!

Sorry. This question has been asked many times and is answered as
part of many other threads.

I use Bonine (a generic Meclizine). It works for me. It's a pill. I start
taking it the night before. If you wait until you start getting sick it
won't help since you'll just puke up the pills. I've never used it but
people use Dramamine (another pill) as well. There's also the patch
(Transderm Scop) but it's prescription only. I went with the
cheapest option available and it worked for me so I'm sticking to
that. You might want to check out dan.org. They have lots of
articles with medical advice. There's probably something there on
how to deal with motion sickness.

As for temps who knows. I haven't seen any temp reports lately
for that part of the Gulf. NOAA operates a network of buoys
around the world which collect temperature (and many other
parameters) they publish for free.
National Data Buoy Center

We're going out tomorrow. Seas forecast are 3' and water temps are mid to upper 70's. Two open spots as of now.

We had a good trip Saturday. A bit bouncy going out but calm once out there and coming back. Nice weather. The waters are really warming up, low 80's at the surface down to 60' and then just a few degrees cooler. Fairly good viz down to 80'. Lots of fish, snapper, jacks, damsels, spades, and a few blacktip sharks. I recovered a GoPro a diver lost on a trip earlier this month.

I thought so! Mud was at 114' and viz was about a foot or two. I knew it was outside the platform on the west side so I tied off a 100' reel to a pipe and ran semicircle sweeps. Didn't find it on dive 1, found it with 2 min. NDL on dive 2.

Going out again this Sunday 7/13, 3 spots available. See post #1 for details and message.

So we went out last Sunday 7/6 to rigs BA-504A and BA-502A. Best viz of the year. Tons of fish, snappers, jacks, spades, barracuda. Saw a couple pair of French Angels, not too common on rigs. Did another bottom search for stuff in the cold and dark, scared up several stingray. Dolphins came by on the surface interval, I jumped in with mask fins snorkel and watched a mama and her pup for about 15 minutes. They came within 10 feet at times. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom