the truth about DM's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough, but my boss and my customers do :)

Maybe you should ask for "dual-citizen-ship" ! haha :)

So have you been on the Marissa long Asha?

I did a 3 tank dive off of it last September and I don't think the DM was you, but I could be mistaken...

I am planning on diving there again in a couple of weeks and hope to get a trip in on the Marissa again.

I've been affiliated with the boat for a couple of years at this point, but really only worked "full time" in 2012 and early 2013. It's entirely possible that I was out of town in September :)

Hope to see you out there in a few weeks!

The shop I'm doing my DM through pays their DMs when they are working. It isn't much, but enough for a few rounds at the pub on a Friday night, plus site entry and gas fills are covered.

Will they also cover your annual HSE medical (£140 or so), the CE certified kit authorisation (£80 or so a year), the DM fee of about £80 and the extra liability needed for insurance coming to about £200? You're looking at about £500 a year in the UK with HSE compliance to be in a place where you can legally dive professionally.

I think if I taught every week at a shop and then spent every weekend on a boat in fla. I might have to declare bankruptcy in about 6 months. With no house or car payment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

just an update:
I am a divemaster now! Divemastering alone isn't a wise financial move in itself. I have found that doing divemaster duties pays more in favors than actual money. One hand washes the other though, I haven't paid for nitrox fills, rescue class, divemaster class, or boat trips in quite a while:). That's not to say that there isn't money to be made. My shop requires you to be a DM in order to work their boats, and that can be decent money on the right days. there is money to be made in the scuba industry, maybe not a livable wage from just being a DM, but like everything else in life if you really want to you can find a way.
Cheers!

Anther update.... I am now a paid treasure hunter. Not your typical $300 a week plus a percentage type treasure hunter, a very, very attractive daily rate treasure hunter. Being a divemaster and having my own gear was instrumental in getting me this job. Being comfortable underwater and time underwater from being a divemaster was also very important in getting me hired.
I can now say for certain that there is good money to be made in the scuba industry if you keep grinding.

I was already performing the duties of a dive master some months before I actually became one.

1. Carting equipment to and fro boat - Out of a willingness to help, dive for free and because the exercise came in useful (although most said a 5' 5" guy weighing 141 pounds didn't need to lose weight)
2. Helping to look out for errant divers - Out of an urge to keep itchy hands from harassing / destroying / killing marine life
3. Helping to look out for new / rusty divers - Out of decency in not wanting to see another diver come to harm
4. Helping out with students - Didn't matter whether I was a dive master or not but if a strap's loose, I don't think it'll matter even if the person saying so was a non-diver

So yeah, I'm one of those who did it for free and whenever I was offered money, I'd refuse it saying that it wasn't my right to accept it and paying me can wait until I was certified as a dive professional.

Having been an ex military diver and 50 years of diving experience, minus the fifteen I lived in New Hampshire. I had no desire to become a DM... except having reached master diver and now halfway through research diver certification plus recovering from major surgery I feel compelled to continue on. I don't need the money and feel like I have to keep going. I don't want to sit watching TV or painting landscapes all day to pass the time. I have no plan to work full time and will most likely teach photography/video and post production. (Not the Padi UW photography course or any other cert agency course.) I have over 15 years as photojournalist and degrees in English and photography.
Plus I am waiting for my new tee shirt to arrive - "Some Grandpa's play bingo but real Grandpa's Scuba Dive"

Browsing through some of this it's s shame some DM positions are unpaid. I just finished my DMT and the shop I affiliate with pays their DM's for pool and O/W work, covers my campsite when doing courses out of town and cover my liability insurance. I just have to pay my yearly dues. I don't do it for the money but it's nice that I won't be breaking the bank covering expenses for assisting the shop, and making a little extra to go out and enjoy my hobby is a nice perk.

Having been an ex military diver and 50 years of diving experience, minus the fifteen I lived in New Hampshire. I had no desire to become a DM... except having reached master diver and now halfway through research diver certification plus recovering from major surgery I feel compelled to continue on. I don't need the money and feel like I have to keep going. I don't want to sit watching TV or painting landscapes all day to pass the time. I have no plan to work full time and will most likely teach photography/video and post production. (Not the Padi UW photography course or any other cert agency course.) I have over 15 years as photojournalist and degrees in English and photography.
Plus I am waiting for my new tee shirt to arrive - "Some Grandpa's play bingo but real Grandpa's Scuba Dive"
In some ways I am like you (except I like sitting watching TV...).

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

Browsing through some of this it's s shame some DM positions are unpaid. I just finished my DMT and the shop I affiliate with pays their DM's for pool and O/W work, covers my campsite when doing courses out of town and cover my liability insurance. I just have to pay my yearly dues. I don't do it for the money but it's nice that I won't be breaking the bank covering expenses for assisting the shop, and making a little extra to go out and enjoy my hobby is a nice perk.
Yes. You have to get paid. How much is debatable, but at least minimum wage. DM positions that are unpaid are not IMO POSITIONS.

I hope both of you get paid. I just did the usual OW (2)weekend course for the usual $300. The Instructor had 6 students and made about $450 for doing 10X the work of a DM. There seems to be a problem there. He said if he had it to do over he'd have stayed a DM. A rarity, I know. Not too many years back the DM OW course pay was $100. I heard many of them quit--well, how many weekends of work would that be just to cover membership & insurance (not to mention Canadian gas prices)? So, it had to go first to $200 then to $300--OR- a lack of DMs. A message here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom