Diver struck by boat near Jupiter Inlet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go to the link, there's a video by the local news. They keep showing a sign which indicates no swimming or diving.
News stories keep mentioning that it's unknown if they used a flag, and the bill being considered above dive flags, but fail to mention that they were snorkeling in a marked prohibited and hazardous area.

Capture.jpg

sad news...my best to the family and close friends............

News stories keep mentioning that it's unknown if they used a flag, and the bill being considered above dive flags, but fail to mention that they were snorkeling in a marked prohibited and hazardous area.

Hmm...

Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the story from a mutual friend.

They were not "diving in the inlet". Andrew was trying to retrieve a lure he had lost in the rocks of the jetty. Nicole was with him. There is some pretty stuff to see there.
I don't know which way the tide was running, but Nicole ended up in the channel. Andrew went to her assistance. When the second boat approached he tried to take them both below the surface. He succeeded in submerging Nicole, but was struck in the head.
He was likely dead on the scene.

Sad news anytime someone has a poor outcome it also appears with the newest information that he was coming to the aid of a friend in distress. Sad for his family many times we look back at a decision and say it wasn't our best decision but we dodged a bullet. It doesn't sound like he was being intentionally reckless it was just a bad decision to chase a lost lure and he got caught It's called an accident.

Why is an inlet not a smart place to dive?

In NJ we dive inlets all the time - some have hours for diving - other inlets are wide open. If you are not diving in the middle or surfacing in the middle - I have not seen any close calls or incidents. Inlet diving during a slack tide is often the best diving you get around here next to a charter or boat dive.

Weird, I work in Basking Ridge.

I used to live just north of Basking Ridge off 287...does that make me part of the club too???

Back
Top Bottom