Very "light" scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the suggestion of getting more "normal" dives under your belt is a good one. Keep in mind that the greatest percent pressure gradient is in the last 30 m of the water column.

I think the only way to know if it's allowed is to call the local place. In the States they can be pretty fussy about diving from public beaches--especially if there are lifeguards--so they may route you to a different area without the lifeguards (you pay for). They are NOT fussy about taking your fee money....Come to Nova Scotia--you can do anything you want almost anywhere and not pay for it.

Thanks for advice. More experience will always be a goal for me. We have here a group of divers which regularely (once or twice a month in the last year) we are going to local pool for practicing basic stuff in 4 m depth. I just don't log those dives. When we have the right condition we are going in a dam lake nearby to try some harder stuf. Crap visibility, cold waters, etc. We also have a sunken church in that lake but it's not very fun to dive it due to vis. Usually you can see it only when you can touch it.

pisoiu--I think you'll find it quite physically difficult to do. You'll need a weight belt with some weight on it as a minimum otherwise you'll just naturally float up to the surface.
Ive done a fair few dives with my kids in lagoons up to 4.5m deep . I have to say its fantastic fun diving and being really shallow we stay in the water till we get cold. up to two hours at a time

Yes, I expect a bit of buoyancy trimming will be required. I will try this in the pool. Basically I have to be slightly positive with full lungs and slightly negative when empty. Shorty wet will add a bit positive buoyancy, my pony+regulator will be negative (steel 4.5 liter). Also, weigth swing due to air consumption will be around 1kg from 200 bar to 20 bar. If the overall will be too positive, perhaps I will add something on the belt. Of course, this is for pool, in salt water, some more weigth will be required, but after all I do not think it will be to hard if the buoyancy is properly trimmed.

When I go diving with an agency and with another divers, picture is clear, complete scuba donning, going seeing something, coming back, etc.
But there are times when I go to a beach just for tanning purposes, with my wife and kids. Some of us will do some freediving in such condition, others will just swim around in waters. Personally I do not find any of those two options appealing. What I would like is to take my 4.5 liters pony with one second stage, a shorty wetsuit and fins and to fool around under 3-4 meters of water for 10-20 minutes. No bcd, buddy, no deeper than few meters, not even close to NDL, just wanting to have few meters of water above me even if there is not much to see underwater of regular beaches.
I never tried it before. Do you think someone (especially beaches responsibles) will have anything against it? I am talking mainly about beaches in my area, Europe (Croatia, Greece, Turkey, etc).
Thank you.

I dive that way all the time when doing shallow shore dives. As long as you are not in a crowded area you should have no problem.

Make sure you take a cutting tool. Nothing worse than a solo dive with limited air ending in a trapped scenario. Fishing line is anywhere there is water.

Not at all really. But I still carry the knife--there could be other things to get you. Another solo tip-- never swim under anything. Swim well over or around anything looking ominous. I can imagine many such things in fresh water as well.

I'd disagree that it's particuarly challenging to do a monkey dive, so long as your weighting is correct. Yesterday I just couldn't be bothered to lug the CCR, and the bailout, and the DPV down and back up a shore dive trail a second time...my first serious monkey dive (max depth 50' or so, hour of runtime) was the result, and it turned out to be quite effortless and freeing. Next time I think I'll leave the DPV at home and just enjoy the freedom of not having anything encumbering me but a single tank under my arm.

Monkey dive.jpg

Here are the rules for Greece : SCUBA Rec Law #.3409 - Virtual Travels to Greece
I did a lot of solo diving from Cretan shores the latest few years and was never asked any questions.
But obviously, avoiding crowded area and local diving centers working hours.

For this kind of set up, one harness (made out backplate from old BCD and weight belts for example) with a few D rings and double pumps clips is cheap, quicky assembled and a lot of fun underwater.

Back
Top Bottom