Atomic Blades vs Hollis F2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Study Joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for pros and cons for the Atomic Blade fins versus Hollis F2 fins.

I was going to pick up the F2s but then saw Atomic just came out with this new fin. I am a fair weather warm water diver, travel for most dives, and not a technical diver. I am an Atomic fan and have the ST1 and Cobalt. For the time being I am staying away from split fins, but I will probably try them someday. Not looking to start a split vs blade argument here. I would like something that might help me get out of some moderate current if necessary. Something capable of taking to Cocos or Galapagos in the distant future. My dive shop recommended the F2s as a good all over fin. I am currently diving the Oceanic Viper which my shop states are very flimsy. They have served me well so far in the Caribbean as a new diver, but I am looking to upgrade.

I've had the F2s since December and have dived in local lakes and Bonaire. I really like the fin. It's short which makes it great for packing. The large loops on the spring straps make donning and doffing a breeze. They are very light weight (also great for travel). They do very well with frog kicks. As far as moderate current, most of our dives in Bonaire started out into the current and drifting back. Bonaire currents are not like Cozumel, but the F2's definitely held their own. I've been thru a lot of fins in 25 yrs +. These are the best so far.

Being larger the Atomics will be more helpful in a current than the shorter F2s. I owned the F2s, as a travel fin they were good, not so great in a moderate current but the same could be said for any short blade fin. The foot pocket on the F2 is huge I think Hollis are having a laugh saying the Smalls fit 4-8. I'm a 6 and the foot pocket was just too wide, I sold them. Try on before you buy. If you like the Vipers and they've held up well I wouldn't be "upgrading" just because the LDS says they're "very flimsy", you dive them, you know what they're like. Take any critique by a LDS on your current gear with a pinch of salt often, not always, it's to get a sale. There's rarely an "upgrade" most dive gear performs well enough, there's just newer and more expensive. Good luck.

I would expect, as an educated guess, the Atomic Blades to perform similar to the Mares Quattro type fin. They have a basic, similar design and size/length. I like them, saw them in a store a little while back, nice quality like all Atomic stuff, expensive like all Atomic stuff, like the red trim too.

N

I would expect, as an educated guess, the Atomic Blades to perform similar to the Mares Quattro type fin. They have a basic, similar design and size/length. I like them, saw them in a store a little while back, nice quality like all Atomic stuff, expensive like all Atomic stuff, like the red trim too.

N

Yes, expensive indeed, $179 plus another $70 for springs. Still they'd match my Atomic mask and do come in a very small size. If I can try on I might be tempted. No one here stocks them and I'm not risking another online international fin purchase, I've spent a fortune on fins that don't fit. Add my new Avanti Quattro Plus to the list.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 05:04 AM ----------

Hoping some blade users chime in. I'm interested in first hand reviews. Cheers.

Being larger the Atomics will be more helpful in a current than the shorter F2s. I owned the F2s, as a travel fin they were good, not so great in a moderate current but the same could be said for any short blade fin. The foot pocket on the F2 is huge I think Hollis are having a laugh saying the Smalls fit 4-8. I'm a 6 and the foot pocket was just too wide, I sold them. Try on before you buy. If you like the Vipers and they've held up well I wouldn't be "upgrading" just because the LDS says they're "very flimsy", you dive them, you know what they're like. Take any critique by a LDS on your current gear with a pinch of salt often, not always, it's to get a sale. There's rarely an "upgrade" most dive gear performs well enough, there's just newer and more expensive. Good luck.

Do you think the F2s would be suitable for use with drysuit and rockboots?

Just to throw another option in the pot...

Take a look at the Aries Accell fin. Same length as the F2. They will fit in a carry on(I've checked). I just used mine for the first time this past weekend & they preformed admirably! Great power to thrust ratio. Preformed well in various kick styles. And the price is $120 in Canada.

I've dived both the F1 and the F2 with my dry suit. The F2 is most definitely NOT a dry suit fin. The F1 however is my new favorite dry suit fin.

I'm not sure about "suitability" given their shorter blade but size wise for accommodating rock boots I'd say you'd be fine.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2014 at 09:08 PM ----------

I briefly used the F1 for dry diving and really appreciated the extra weight, great propulsion due to large blade area. But as with many fins I've bought the foot pocket was too large creating annoying lateral movement. I sold them and now use DiveRite XT fins which are great, read fit properly, but lighter, I miss the weight of the F1s which trimmed out nicely. With the DR I need to pay more attention to air in my boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom