San Carlos Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For anyone thinking about coming down next weekend, tomorrow CEA (water department) is turning off ALL the running water in San Carlos for well maintenance. They are saying it will be off 10 to 15 days, but there might be a trickle at times. What a way to hurt the economy down here with the holiday weekend coming up. This is going to affect 8,000 residents here. At least I have a 200 gallon tinaca to hold me over and I stocked up on water jugs. And, it was 105 degrees yesterday.

---------- Post added May 19th, 2014 at 01:50 PM ----------

An update: they are now going to wait until after the holiday weekend to do the shutdown. And, it will only be turned off during the day. Various areas will receive water in the evening for filling the tinacas. Anyone who runs dry just needs to contact the CEA office in San Carlos, and they will dispatch a water truck at no charge.

However, the water condition is horrible--pea soup visibility up to a kilometer from shore.

Probably a good thing I'm postponing a return to San Carlos until late June. Maybe things will be cleared-up by then. Southern California diving hasn't been too bad this past winter.

In late December, I got stuck doing local dives in poor visibility conditions in San Carlos due to small numbers in my dive group. Of course, the poor visibility wasn't anything anyone could control and dive boat operators can't run out to the island when there aren't enough divers on board to cover the costs. We also drew poorly with the condos we stayed in. The showers barely worked and there was zero hot water. While hanging out with the other members of the dive group was fun, the dive gods just didn't smile on us during that trip.

I am looking forward to getting back into some warm water when I return to San Carlos in late June trip.

-AZTinman

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I was planning to be down this weekend, but plans got changed so we won't get back down there until Labor Day.

Despite the claim not to start until after the weekend, several areas are reporting to be dry. Los Ranchitos and the Caracol apparently are being hurt the worst due to their elevations. The water also stopped in the Bahia area around 11 this morning. Knock on wood, no evidence of water loss at my house across from Marina Terra Hotel. Supposedly, the trickle at night will refill the tinacas.

Hello: My husband and I are heading to San Carlos for the 4th of July weekend. Have there been any problems with the water recently? We look foreward to the trip.

The water came back on June 2nd, but not all areas received it for several days. I never lost water service or pressure at my house, but the Ranchitos area was without water for more than two weeks. The Caracol lost water, too, after several days, but had it trucked in. Everything should be good now.

Hello all,

Some questions about diving San Carlos.
1. Is mid July a good time?
2. Best way to get there form Alb./Santa Fe NM?
3. Is it possible to find dive buddies?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give!

Mid-July is a wonderful time to dive in San Carlos, the water will be 80 degrees and visibility could reach 100 feet. If you're driving, best way is to come through Tucson and down through the Mariposa crossing west of the main Nogales crossing (it's the truck crossing). When you're headed down, PM me and I'll help you find a buddy. I might even be there. I'm headed down on June 26th for about 12 days and back again on July 31st.

If you're looking for a guided dive or instruction, my fiance is the best instructor in San Carlos and has taught more DMs and instructors than anyone in Sonora.

I'll be doing a family dive trip to San Carlos with dive days on July 10 & 11. We've booked seats on El Mar's boat. If those dates match yours, you're welcome to join us. Just do the boat reservation thing through El Mar in San Carlos.

The truck bypass as described by Laurie is an easy place to cross. The road to San Carlos is a toll road. If you give the staff at the first toll both a $20.00, they'll give you enough pesos to pay the toll fees at the remaining two toll booths. The second and third toll booths require pesos. I always get enough pesos to pay the toll fees at the three toll stations for the return trip.

The only downside I've experienced with July San Carlos diving is heat and humidity. Regardless, of those issues, I've really enjoyed diving there in July.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom