Where did I go with my force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Stress and Rescue Class

One more open water session and my Diver Stress and Rescue Class will be over. It has been an intense and eye-opening, yet fun, learning journey.
I think the stress and rescue class is one of the most important classes that a diver can take and it should be mandatory.

FFins_SRClass_Web_1395674062973.jpg
Happy Safe Diving!

Diving into the Whidbey Life Magazine!

Few weeks ago I was in California again and discovered that scuba diving without fins is awkward if not just plain dumb.

Without my fins I wouldn't have been able to encounter and capture with my camera fascinating marine creatures.

After diving in Whidbey Island for 7 years I was able to express my thoughts
and showcase some photographs in an article that the Whidbey Life Magazine has just published on line. :)

WLM_SAarticle_Spring2014.jpg

Hmmm... <1m viz and extreme weather here in typhoon/monsoon season... yeah, but no dry-gloves...

There are a number of dives I've done in warm water that have been challenging (poor vis, extreme conditions), but this in no way compares with similar conditions with an Ocean temperature of 29-32 degrees F.

I suppose this is a matter of perspective. When I lived in Malaysia we spoke at times of conditions being bad. The same conditions would be paradise for divers in Canada or in northern Europe. What we consider 'bad' to be, depends on what we're use to. No matter what that is, what is less than ideal is one thing and dangerous is dangerous. Diving in cold water presents an element of danger to the diving environment that's absent in warmer water.

Is diving in warm water easier than diving in cold water? Absolutely.

The definition of 'cold water' is something I've found interesting. To some it's 55 degrees, to others 70 and there's the below 40 degree group. It truly is a matter of perspective...:)

I learnt to dive in a UK fresh water quarry in November, in a wetsuit - the water temp was 3 Celsius. I spent the next decade diving in the UK, including the north of Scotland.

And yet, I've encountered some of the most challenging conditions in the tropics.

I fail to see your point. Water temperature is but a single factor - and one mitigated through effective exposure protection. That leaves only the issue of some diminished dexterity through the gloves worn.

To keep the post on-topic... my Force Fins were with me throughout and performed equally well in all the conditions they've been challenged with :)

This was fun :) !!

I have the same ugly Yellow ones. You can see them in the right corner of my dive clubs home page Blogg ? Askøy Sportsdykkerklubb ,and in the picture galleri. I loved your video part two. The "gost shark" as we call them is fantastic. We have a lot of them here outside Bergen in Norway. I have a video or two of them on my Youtube site.

a single factor[/I] - and one mitigated through effective exposure protection. That leaves only the issue of some diminished dexterity through the gloves worn.

From a Hyperbaric Physiology perspective, lower water temperature is only one factor, but a huge one. My point is that there can be challenging conditions anywhere. Low temperature presents one more which isn't a factor in warm water. Wearing a dry-suit doesn't eliminate the hazard, but you know that.

BTW, my Force Fins work great as well... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom