Trip Report: BlackBeard’s Cruises 24-30 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. I was traveling alone but they required buddy diving and it was easy to get buddied up... and I enjoyed diving with the buddies.

I would be going alone. Do they pair people up?

Great report. Have always wanted to and it is on my bucket list. I am only a AOW with around 60 dives. Do you think such a trip would be too much for my experience? (I know that is an open ended question!)

Jeff

I would be going alone. Do they pair people up?
They don't play forced matchmaker with you, but you have to have a buddy. I didn't ask about solo diving certifications, but I believe it would discouraged.

From what I say it was very easy for the single divers to pair up. No one had a problem, and it would be a great way to get to know the people you're diving with! These boats attract a lot of single divers, and I'm sure you'd be able to find someone of comparable skills and interests with ease.

Excellent and thorough. Funny, I was just browsing their site. Keep going back and looking at it, trying to figure out how I can talk the wife into a live-aboard trip.

If she dives, I'm sure she'd love it. There's lots of places to lie in the sun, read a book, and the crew is very personable, and the food is wonderful. All the female guests that were there had a great time.

You mentioned they do no guide the dives. Being fairly new to the sport and having only dived with guides (usually in groups of 6), how do folks know where to go while diving? I understand the briefing, yet I could see how easily it could be to get disoriented.
Well, the Dive Master gives an outstanding dive briefing, and draws a great map of the site beforehand at the briefing, complete with indicating where north is, making it easy to use your compass. They will be happy to answer any questions about the site too. The wall dives are easy, you swim out down the mooring line, then to the wall, which you'll see from the line, then turn left or right. When you decide to head back, just come up the wall to the top, and turn around, and you'll swim back the way you came to the mooring line.

Reefs are shallow, and you generally don't get to far from the boat. None are too deep to come up to just check your position, either.

And as a last resort, if you do lose the boat, you can come up and signal for a pickup; they all tow a dingy that they can send to get you. You may face a little joking from the other guests, though. I found it a very easy area to navigate and never had any difficulties. If you're really concerned, you can always take AOW or the Navigation Specialty with them too, all the DMs are Instructors, and they teach the NAUI programs. From the (indiscrete) look I had at another diver's tab, it was only about $150 dollars or so, and those dives are with an instructor, so not only do you get a guided dive, but navigation training as well.

Great report. Have always wanted to and it is on my bucket list. I am only a AOW with around 60 dives. Do you think such a trip would be too much for my experience? (I know that is an open ended question!)
Not at All! We had many divers with just OW and with less dives than you. The sites are not dangerous, really challenging or have hard currents or surge (with the exception of the Washing Machine, and there are two guides with you then). The wall dives do offer the possibility to go as deep as you want, but you can stay shallow too. Because it's just you and your buddy, there is no set dive "path" to follow; it's wherever the two of you wish to go!

You make me want to go. Even though I'd probably be seasick!
No one on our boat ever got sick. I took Bonine every morning, and actually the most disoriented I felt was at the dock on the first day. That feeling passed quickly. If you're prone to sea-sickness, I'd recommend you bring some medication, but it was very smooth for our entire trip.

When I contact Blackbeard's main office before my trip, they said solo diving was acceptable as long as one had a solo cert. I didn't so I dove buddied up. The DM on board when I was there said no solo diving period even with a solo cert. After the trip she was corrected by the main office. My understanding is she is no longer with them. She was the only negative on the crew and had several complaints from others mostly due to her attitude. Even with her attitude she was tolerable. The rest of the crew was great.

I have completed open water students on board with Blackbeard's. You should not have any difficultly doing the dives or enjoying the trip.

Jeff

When I contact Blackbeard's main office before my trip, they said solo diving was acceptable as long as one had a solo cert. I didn't so I dove buddied up. The DM on board when I was there said no solo diving period even with a solo cert. After the trip she was corrected by the main office. My understanding is she is no longer with them. She was the only negative on the crew and had several complaints from others mostly due to her attitude. Even with her attitude she was tolerable. The rest of the crew was great.
As a side note to this, The President of Blackbeard's, Cat Ppalu, and Aquacat was present when we went ashore Thursday evening. He was very friendly, and willing to listen to how his crew was on the trip. I don't know if this was just a coincidence, but he was around several times that Friday, and I got the impression that he was quite involved with the company- one additional reason why they a good operation.

Nice report and very helpful.
I will be in a liveaboard with them next September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom