Sports Chalet anyone? Seriously considering getting certified there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktownyoyo

Registered
Reaction score
How are they viewed in the dive community? Are they pricier than most dive shops? Any input here would help. It seems like I am getting mixed feedback on local dive shops in Los Angeles and it seems going with a larger chain sporting goods store would put any worries at-ease.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You go and compare the price for instruction and talk with the instructors whom would do your instruction. Talk to the smaller LDS and the chain stores, be sure to get a sense of being comfortable with your instructor. Ask any and all questions about the instruction, the methodology, the timeframe, whats included and what isn't and the instructors opinion on how they perceive the standards for each scuba skill. There are no secret scuba skills, only secret handshakes. Good luck

My great-grandson went to Catalina this week end to do his open water dives for basic certification. He is 12 years old. We had paid for his certification through Sport Chalet. The instructor was good with him and he passed the written portion with no problems. He did not pass his open water this weekend. He had trouble with the equipment.

Sport chalet had ordered a 7 mil wetsuit that never showed up. The wet suit they finally gave to him did not fit properly and he could not reach behind his head to put his mask on. The BCD leaked air from a dump valve that had been capped off. The dive computer failed on the first dive. The rest of the dives were thumbed and he will return another day.

Also another student had a regulator that breathed wet. Her instructor said it was because she did not seal her lips around the mouth piece. She finally thumbed the rest of the dives and will have to return another day.

It is not only the instructors that make the class worthwhile, but the equipment plays an important part. When you are using rental equipment is is a crap shoot as to what you will get. I know of two people who spent a tidy sum of money to test for certification and lost out due to faulty equipment.

Bottom line - shop around. Ask what is the TOTAL cost of the course INCLUDING the course fee, instruction, equipment rental, dive boat, ferry to Catalina, certification card, and what equipment will be required to purchase. This will let you compare cost apples to apples. Cost is not the most important factor (yes, I know it matters), but value quality of instruction over quick and cheap. Talk to the instructor etc.

In todays market most SCUBA students want it fast and inexpensive. They don't want to pay an instructor for longer classroom instruction or pool time. Many would like to get certified in one weekend if they could. If dive shop X is charging $ for a 4 day course, Dive shop Y can't very well charge $$ for a 6 day course and get enough students to stay open.

1. When I got certified I was quoted a price that was reasonable. Then I learned the price is only for the course instruction. It does not include the books, e-learning, file folder, dive boat/ferry, pic folder, certification card or required equipment. So my out of pocket ended up costing about 3 times more than the original amount (that was just the course fee). Again, Price is not the primary factor to consider. The price alone does not dictate if the instruction is good or bad. It is the instructor.

2. Training, a few hours one week night to process enrolment, waivers, and get our rental gear. Then two weekends (one for classroom and pool and the other for open water dives) and we were done. Certified?.... Yes. Trained....well sort of. We knew what to do.... Competent in our scuba skills, Far from it. Find an instructor who values quality of instruction and learning over speed.

3. A large chain does not necessarily mean quality instruction or bad instruction. It just means they sell all kinds of sporting goods and have other sources of income besides SCUBA. There are great instructors in small shops and some good independent instructors who don't work out of dive shops at all. Shop around, get comfortable that your instructor knows what they are doing and values your learning and learning it well over speed.

Good advice above. Personally, I'd prefer a real dive shop rather than a sports superstore, but the most important thing is the instructor. I've received two advanced certifications from a Sports Chalet instructor that I trusted 100% and had dived with myself.

When I was first certified it was a 12 week course and 5 open water dives I have posted this before, I know.

As the good Dr. Bill noted the instructor is the key element, as well as decent equipment.

It's not necessarily the place where you get your instruction it more dependent upon the instructor who takes you into the pool and open water. You can get a very good instructor at Sports Chalet just as easily as getting a bad instructor at a LDS. Or, visa versa. Most scuba shops also have a particular brand they promote. Some LDS shops will feature ScubaPro, others either Atomic or Aqualung. Obviously, if you are a student in their classes you will have an opportunity to buy their gear which they will promote to you. At Sports Chalet they have Mares and Aqualung products primarily with Body Glove wetsuits as well.

Because Sports Chalet is a larger chain they are able to maintain in indoor pool on site at several (not all) stores. They also have once a month a free "intro to scuba" at the stores with pools where you can get into the pool with the scuba gear after the appropriate introduction and education. You might want to check it out and if nothing else it is a free experience and you would also have the opportunity to check out the dive staff and ask questions.

As for their reputation it is no better or worse and any LDS. Nobody really asks, "hey, where did you get your certification?" For that matter, it is never an issue if you have PADI, NAUI, or SSI certification either since all you really need is your certification card that confirms you have taken the appropriate classes and training.

I'd recommend looking for a high quality instructor with a good reputation. To find that ask around some dive clubs. Go to different shops in your area. Ask any friends you know who they would recommend. I've had a few friends get their training at Sports Chalet. It is standard PADI text book and training and is the same information and skills my daughter had when she trained at a PADI dive center at a resort on vacation.

Good luck.

That is the best post yet.....amazing. I got this vibe in regards to the certification process

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Have instructed for 3 dive shops and currently Sport Chalet. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. From what I've seen from the instructor's perspective, the rental equipment is better at Sport Chalet than smaller dive shops. They have more money to invest in rental equipment and tend to replace crutial gear components on a regular cycle.

Sports Chalet teaches to the PADI standard and is the largest instructional PADI shop in the US. As instructors, we must conform to PADI requiremnts, rules, regulations not Sport Chalet. Theoretically, it should be a level playing field on that count but it is the instructor that runs the class, not Sport Chalet.

As for the quality of instructors, well they hired me! (boy did I leave myself wide open on that one...)

I don't know where you are in LA, but I would highly recommend you contact robertarak on this board. He's a very nice person with an empathetic approach, and he's got a lot of training beyond simple OW, to help him form a really good diver from the get-go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom