Baby shampoo *is* the best defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I don't have much luck with spit either. It's OK, but it'll only last me about half of a dive. I've never tried someone else's spit, though. ;-)

I'm a back to basics kinda gal. I confess I have never used anything other than what nature provides me. I do understand not all spit is created equal :doh: I been told that if you eat an orange or something acidic it helps the effectiveness of your spit as a defogger. I got that on very good authority but would love to hear back if some of you try it out:)

I've stuck with what nature gave me. Have tried defog, didn't like it and it was something piddly one hD to deal with. Have tried baby shampoo, still makes my eyes red and sore. So after trial and errors, I'm happy with mother nature and you can be happy too because I never ever put my mask in the communal rinse bucket.

I had all sorts of problems with mask fogging. someone at the dive shop used a lighter to get the "film coating" off the inside of the mask which helped enormously (I'd cleaned it with toothpaste as I was told). My spit is obviously not a terribly good de-fogger because I definitely notice a big difference when I use Johnsons baby shampoo. I keep a little travel bottle in my mask case.

A teeny drop smeared around inside the mask then swooshed in the water before a dive works just great (for me). Put too much shampoo in the mask and you taste it at the back of your throat. I've never had any problems with sore eyes (and I wear contacts) using JBS.

In the PNW, I generally just use some spit, unless I'm not being productive in that department, I have a small hotel sized shampoo bottle of baby shampoo.

In the Caribbean (or other tropical warm place), I only use the shampoo with spit as a backup. I put it in when I board the boat, hop in the water some time later, and usually do a full mask clear and flow check at the start of every dive.

Once I get back on board, another coat goes on and repeat the experience. The thicker the dried goo, the better!

I once had a few DM and DMT offer to defog and rinse my mask with dish soap. I would have rather superglued my eyelids open and dove without a mask (.... I did for half of the dive), since then I don't let anyone else mess with it.

And my mask does NOT go into the boat rinse bucket, just the ocean or lake!

BRad

I've never bothered with buying defogger, I use spit. For me, it works great in all temps, from 4C to 20C water. The only times I've had a fogging mask has been on the surface, when the water is cold and the air is a little warmer, but since that fog is on the outside of the mask glass, it's not a problem.

Besides, if my mask starts fogging, I let in a little water, look down and to the sides and clear my mask again. Presto, crystal clear vision!

I been told that if you eat an orange or something acidic it helps the effectiveness of your spit as a defogger.
Never tried eating an orange first, but I've got experience with the opposite: I'm dipping snuff, and that's said to be slightly alkaline. Never seen any difference whether I've just spit the load out or if it's been a while since I spat. OTOH, IME oranges make your spit really gooey and sticky. Could that, rather than the pH, be the explanation?

j&j or me.

My wife and I have been using a 1:1 dilution of baby shampoo in a squirt bottle for over a year works great. Spray it on, swirl around dump and excess and your good to go. No rinsing required no streaks from not rinsing the gel off, very easy.

Use whatever works for you. There is no right or wrong here. But as mentioned before, spit cannot be accidentally left behind, commercial defogger can.

I've been a "spitter" since 1976.

If you decide to use "Nature's Defogger", technique and ritual is everything. It helps please the Sea Gods to see divers sticking to the "old ways".

The Ritual:

• Dunk mask in the ocean, give it a quick rinse, swish and dump.
  • Check wind direction, then spit in mask. Don't be timid, think Leo in "Titanic", it lets everyone on the dive boat know you are the "real deal".
  • Rub the natural defogger around with a clean index finger; you do not want dirt or grease on the glass, it will promote fog.
  • Dunk mask in ocean quickly, just enough to remove excess spit. You want a very thin "slime layer" to remain.
  • Dunk your face in ocean, or splash water on face before putting mask on. This removes sweat and oil, slicks back your hair, and cools off your face, plus it is something Mike Nelson would do. It makes it look like you know your stuff. See below for trying to avoid overheating the air inside the mask.
  • If needed, you can "touch up" the defog while waiting on the surface by removing the mask and licking the inside. Divers who see you do this will never, ever ask to borrow your defogger!

Avoid "overheating" the air trapped within the mask. Breathing warm moist air from you nose into the mask will create a perfect fogging environment. If you exhale through your nose with each breathing cycle you can often overpower the defogger, so this is another great reason to STOP doing that.

If the above is just too much, baby shampoo also works well.... but don't tell the Sea Gods you heard it from me.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom