Drysuit choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am dry suit shopping. I am looking at getting a shell suit. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 likely candidates, from 3 different local shops.

My three contenders are:

Bare ATR HD
Diving Concepts Ultraflex Pro
OS Systems HD PRO

I would need to order the Bare or the OS Systems. The Diving Concepts suit is in stock at the shop and I tried it on. Fits well. The shop is offering a pretty good deal on it, $1200 with undergarments and a hood. The OS Systems suit is about $300 more. I am still awaiting a firm price on the Bare but it is probably in the same ballpark as the OS Systems suit.

I am currently leaning toward the Diving Concepts suit just because of the price. Anyone think I should change my mind?

In terms of use. I plan to dive it a lot. Including plenty of shore diving at some pretty rocky coastlines.

I have the Bare ATR HD. I've seen the Diving Concepts and will say that if it fits well I'd definitely go with that. It has some underarm and underleg gussets that really help your range of motion. It's a nice suit. But so is the Bare.. I like mine.

FWIW, you can order the Bare from a Canadian shop (like Dan's Dive Shop) and save a few bucks. I got mine with drygloves for under $900 shipped.

If I had to do mine all over again, I would have bought the DC Ultraflex Pro in a heartbeat. Absolutely without hesitation.

But I should add that if you're getting a drysuit, take the extra time and get it custom - ESPECIALLY your underwear. It will make a world of difference to your diving enjoyment, and the premium on a custom vs. stock fit isn't very much in the long run.

Boogie711:
But I should add that if you're getting a drysuit, take the extra time and get it custom - ESPECIALLY your underwear. It will make a world of difference to your diving enjoyment, and the premium on a custom vs. stock fit isn't very much in the long run.

That was actually the only concern I had with the DC suit. It basically fits me well. It is a XXL suit. I am 6'3" and a little under 190lbs. In terms of height arm and leg length the suit is just right. But it is designed for people up to 217lbs according to the DC sizing chart. I am nearly 30lbs under this so I am a little on the skinny side for that suit, but do you think that small amount of extra bagginess will make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the replies.

RIOceanographer:
That was actually the only concern I had with the DC suit. It basically fits me well. It is a XXL suit. I am 6'3" and a little under 190lbs. In terms of height arm and leg length the suit is just right. But it is designed for people up to 217lbs according to the DC sizing chart. I am nearly 30lbs under this so I am a little on the skinny side for that suit, but do you think that small amount of extra bagginess will make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes. I'm serious - go custom. It's worth the time and extra money. Do you want to swim around inside a hefty-bag, or do you want a form-fitting suit that fits you like a glove?

I just bought a Bare ATR HD from divetank.com (canada). Saved a lot of money and their large size fits me like a custom!! They offered an unconditional guarantee too. Comes standard with a pocket on the right. Great suit, I love it. The only thing is that the Bare does not have suspenders. For around 900.00 you can't beat it!

Tony.

tonyc:
I just bought a Bare ATR HD from divetank.com (canada). Saved a lot of money and their large size fits me like a custom!! They offered an unconditional guarantee too. Comes standard with a pocket on the right. Great suit, I love it. The only thing is that the Bare does not have suspenders. For around 900.00 you can't beat it!

Tony.

Bare is definitely really generous on their stock size selection... 15 stock sizes makes it pretty easy to find one that is right. I am nearly a perfect match for the large-tall.

Thanks for the feedback.

Boogie711:
Yes. I'm serious - go custom. It's worth the time and extra money. Do you want to swim around inside a hefty-bag, or do you want a form-fitting suit that fits you like a glove?

Great analogy! :eyebrow:

I just managed to work it out so I will actually get to try both the Bare and the Diving Concepts suits. The Bare dealer ordered my size suit so I can try one out before I buy it. And Monday I am going to get to dive in the diving concepts suit to see if I like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom