How do you attach your dive flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a reel with my flag, and set the drag so that a good pull will pull line. I clip it to a d-ring, but hold it whenever I hear boat traffic. I figure the drag setting will give me time to cut the line if I need while posing minimal danger.

At the BHB I hold it in my hand. When I carry a flag off of Lauderdale by the sea, N Broward or Boynton Beach I often use
GetImage.ashx

Because I can wind it out and put my arm through it and forget about it.

Haven't carried a flag other places.

Last edited:
Most of my non-boat dives seem to be in shallower water; 18-24 ft. (Frequently with poor visibility, while looking for sharks teeth; so focused mostly on the bottom. <3 Venice)
I use a line holder instead of a reel.
Something like Amazon.com : JCS Plastic Line Holder (No Line) : Diving Reels : Sports & Outdoors
Can carry it in a hand, and wind during ascent and descent, but putting a wrist through it is the way I spend most of my time on the bottom.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2014 at 10:25 AM ----------

Lol. Looks like Amy was posting while I was looking for the link. lol

I use a similar inexpensive line holder at BHB. I have a bolt snap attached to mine with a short piece of 1/8" bungee.

There are three ways that I do it...it depends on what I feel like doing. The first is simply to clip the reel to a D-ring on my harness and drag it under my arm. I never worried about a boat snagging it, and if someone on the surface tried to pull the float up, well, that would be the last time they ever thought about touching anything in the water.

The second way was a have a small stainless grappling hook - good for boarding parties and a little gratuitous pillaging as well as being able to drop it on the bottom and look around an area. To surface, I'd just clip it to the reel or let it hang in the water column. I didn't like letting it hang though since I always felt like a big fishing lure.

The third way was I had a small pool line float that floated the reel over my head out of the way - I had maybe 6' or 7' of polypropylene rope as a leader so the reel was well out of my way. This I either clipped off to my my harness or attached the little anchor/grappling hook.

When shore diving i tie it off to the back of the yak as a tag line. I then carry the anchor (Bruce) or in summer when diving with no neoprene use the three prong stainless grapnel. The flag is homemade. A lobster trap float. 9' of PVC pipe and a walmart workout 5lbs plate as ballast. I fly a full 24" boat flag.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom