IMP: Need help with choosing a gift for scuba diver/trainer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faiza malik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I need help with choosing a nice gift for my fiance who is a scuba diver and trainer. I don't know anything about scuba diving or the equipment. I don't want to ask him directly as i want it to be a surprise. It should be something that a scuba diver would really like and appreciate as a gift. It is going to be my first gift to him so i want it to be a memorable one. Btw he lives in the US and i am in a land far far away, so please suggest something that could easily be delivered to him.

Will really appreciate your suggestions. Please help !

Thanks,
FM

Hi All,

I need help with choosing a nice gift for my fiance who is a scuba diver and trainer. I don't know anything about scuba diving or the equipment. I don't want to ask him directly as i want it to be a surprise. It should be something that a scuba diver would really like and appreciate as a gift. It is going to be my first gift to him so i want it to be a memorable one. Btw he lives in the US and i am in a land far far away, so please suggest something that could easily be delivered to him.

Will really appreciate your suggestions. Please help !

Thanks,
FM

Hrm. There are a number of online scuba retailers based in the US, so getting it delivered to him shouldn't be a problem if you can pay online with a credit card. I'm sure some other posters in the US could make some recommendations (I'm not in the US myself). As for the gift, what is your budget, roughly? Diving gear ranges from pretty cheap (for little accessories, which can be useful and make a nice gift) to really, really expensive. I'm guessing, though, that if he's a trainer/ scuba instructor, that he alreadys own all of his own basic equipment.

Gift him something that reminds your love for each other that he can take with him at all times even under water. Even better something that will keep him safe until you return!

The greek orthodox church has saint nicholas as the protector of those who work in the seas, like sailors, divers etc.

If he believes in God, you could get him something like that.

If not then get him something like a nautilus tracking device just in case he ever gets lost at sea.

My 2 cent!!

P.s you have lots if time ahead of you to buy him expensive scuba gear that e really needs but most important WANTS!!!! So wait until you have more inside info on what scuba equipment he needs in order to have a sure bet o. Were you are soending your money.
Heck maybe a dive trip for both of you so that he can actually enjoy some diving himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. My budget is $150-200 roughly. And yes i was wondering the same too. Since he is a trainer himself, i am sure he must be owning the basic equipment already. I wanted to gift him something special and scuba equipment is something that instantly occurred to me since that is his passion too. But now i am confused if i should go with scuba equipment or something else :(

---------- Post added May 30th, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

Messenone, thanks for your reply. A nautilus tracking device sounds good but then again i am not sure, he might already be owning one if he is a scuba trainer. Lord this is tough :p
A dive trip for us both sounds pretty good BUT we can't manage that as yet since he is in the US and i am not :(

Even if you get him a piece of equipment that he already has the exact same one, its up to him to keep it for ever and say that " this one was given to me as a gift by my better half". So it doesnt really matter what it is or how expensive it is. What matters is that you give something from the heart with all you love.

A while back I got a dirt cheap teddy bear by my wife and it sat on top of the steering wheel in my car for a long time, until our son decided that he wanted the teddy bear. :)

No one else would be allowed to remove the teddy!!!!!

Even if you get him a piece of equipment that he already has the exact same one, its up to him to keep it for ever and say that " this one was given to me as a gift by my better half". So it doesnt really matter what it is or how expensive it is. What matters is that you give something from the heart with all you love.

A while back I got a dirt cheap teddy bear by my wife and it sat on top of the steering wheel in my car for a long time, until our son decided that he wanted the teddy bear. :)

No one else would be allowed to remove the teddy!!!!!

HAHA awwwhhh that is just so cute eee :)
BTW i found something interesting. Since he is a lot into travelling, i am now thinking of getting him a nice leather bag maybe. Something that could be used as a back pack and a carry on bag too. I found this one. Looks nice to me. Your 2 cent on this one please? :)
Shop Waterbag | Saddleback Leather Co.

P.S: I hope the admin doesn't kick me out of here for discussing stuff other than scuba :$ :p

The bag looks very nice and seems well made too.

I hope the bag doesn't end up on a boat with scuba equipment in it!!

Don't worry about the admins. The few years I am a SB member they all seem to be very nice guys.
Plus if you do something wrong they will give you a warning first. :wink:

messenone makes some good points. It's tricky to buy dive gear for someone if you don't know what they already have and what they want. And divers can be quite picky about what equipment they like (especially the basic, essential gear). If you are set on buying something diving-related for him, here are my suggestions:

• Dry bag: might not have one already because they're not absolutely necessary, but most people will find a use for one if they have it.
  • Knife: probably has one already (or another cutting device), but a spare/ backup is never a bad idea; and a good quality one could make a nice gift.
  • Small torch: if he's doing any diving the requires lights, he already has a fairly large, good quality light. But a small, relatively inexpensive light can be nice for dives that don't really require one.
  • Other bits and pieces: things like towels, water bottles, etc. Not stricly diving related, but divers always need them. They'll be well under your budget, so probably best combined with another gift.

Since he's a trainer, he likely has all the conventional gear a trainer would need for work.

At $200 you might look for something more unusual. This is somewhat of a toy in that although they claim it has a practical purpose, it's mostly used to shoot bubble rings at your friends - he might have some fun with it with his students. Some instructors look for pool toys or other ways to help with the required monotonous parts of training - like doing repetitive skills traing etc..: H2Odyssey | Your Aquatic Adventure Outfitter

LeisurePro in NYC sells them. They're a very reputable dealer and have international customers. You could probably arrange to have it shipped to him directly. torid pulse - Search Results for torid pulse - LeisurePro

Another option might be an Action Cam. It can be used to film underwater so he could also use it to film students to review their skills. However GoPro Hero's are very popular with divers so he may already have one. Has he ever shown you any video he's taken?

GoPro's are over your budget except for the White version which is not as good optically as the other two - but Sony also makes one. And their better model (AS530) is on-sale for $200 currently. All Action Cam - Action Cam Sony Store - Sony US Either of the $200 models include the case good to 200'. If he teaches on a recreational level he's not exceeding that. Amazon.com sells them and you can specify the shipping address when you place the order. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sony+action+cam

fyi, the Nautilus Lifeline is $300. Nautilus Lifeline GPS Safety Device for Divers at LeisurePro They're pretty new on the market so he may not have one.

Does he teach on boats? In bright conditions? Polarized sunglasses might be an option also. Besides Ray-Ban, Oakley's, Bolle's, Serengeti's and all the other standard brands, there's also: http://www.diveshades.com/ Just make sure they're polarized as that cuts down the glare reflected off the water.

hth,

P.S: I hope the admin doesn't kick me out of here for discussing stuff other than scuba :$ :p
I'm one and we don't...:wink:

Last edited:
Where does he dive? One of the nicest things I've bought myself is a Truwest Parka. Even if you dive in the tropics, it can be cold getting out of the water in a wetsuit, into the wind. The first place I ran into these parkas was in Cozumel, where the dive op had them, and having the boat crew wrap you up in that soft fleece was utterly delicious.

Back
Top Bottom