Will I look stupid with a DAN safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be diving in GCM and Belize next month. I have the DAN safety sausage, and a somewhat smaller one. My hesitation in using the DAN one is that not only is it kind of big, I get the feeling in certain dive spots that people are wondering just what I expect to go wrong that would require a sausage that might (possibly) be visible from any near Earth orbit. (E.g. this kind of sausage is overkill when you're doing the Catalina dive park...)

Is the typical boat diving on GCM such that this kind of sausage is way overkill and I should use my regular (still large) but not over the top sausage? Or are currents/other events a reasonable possibility in GCM and in fact I won't look quite as dumb with it as I fear? (If you want to chime in for the same question diving in AC in Belize, including the Blue Hole, please do so.)

If you are in the waves and the boat can't find you then bigger is better.

Lots of open water, especially around the Atolls. Bigger sausage is best.

.. l
^^^^^^^
Superlative sausages
startlingly signals
serious situations
startling searchers
steering same
subsequently succeeded
saved scubadivers

Dandy Don Brethlessly Whispered:
Bigger sausage is best.

:gorgeous: Oooooh, Donny.