Wife will not let me dive without a dive master..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you could do like I did, sit down and explain the life insurance amounts and point out that worst case she could afford an upgrade.

This was brought up in our first discussion. She was not amused. I guess I'm just perfect.
OK plan B, start rounding out your rig towards the basic SOLO diver requirements: dual computers, backup SPG, have and can deploy a SMB, ect. Redundancy is good thing regardless and perhaps as she see's that you are serious and safety conscience, she may relax on her fears and concerns.

Just tell her she needs to leave, good buy honey I'm gonna miss you.
Well ,I'm not that kinda guy actually, been married 32 blissful years and we still slap each other around once a week.
Maybe do that wed,thur,fri, and then go dive saturday.
Find a really hot lady DM and pay her to dive with you a couple weekends and tell your wife how much you appreciate her concern.:D

I work out of Patriot Scuba in Occoquan, just around the beltway and a few miles south of you. We have a very active dive club and are at Lake Rawlings as well as the Rappahannock Quarries every weekend and some weekdays. We would love to go diving with you.

Actually Paulmal might be on to something.

Dex's wife is obviously worried about his safety. Maybe taking some additional training would help her relax.

My wife doesn't worry about me diving and she's quite aware that some of the diving I do is much riskier than your standard puddle stomping. HOwever I've gained this experience organically and kept her in the loop.

Last night I was reading the standards for a technical specialty I want to take this year and came in the room and said, "what's that", so I showed her. The picture on the website showed a diver with multiple stage bottles, lights shooting off in various directions and a deep blue, nearly black background because of the depth. The picture looked worse than the course (just a trimix specialty that I haven't done yet).

I can't always predict her reaction to what she sees because she doesn't know the first thing about diving but she looked and said, "you should do this. You teach all the time but you need to keep learning too". Apparently she has a sense that the more you learn the safer you will be, and I would agree to that.

She still tells me that she objects to me diving in caves. I've told her that hard-core wreck diving is in some real sense more dangerous than a cave but she said, "if you die in a wreck they'll find your body". Still have some more work to do on that. Fortunately for me, cave diving is about priority number 30 on the list of things I want to do. There's a saying in cave diver land, "nothing in a cave is worth dying for." My thinking is that "nothing in a cave is worth diving for". One of the big reasons I like wrecks is because they are a magnate for marine life. Caves, no so much.

R..

Ask if you can dive with me. I have taken just about ever class available under DM. I started to consider going for my DM earlier this month and have been in talks with my DS. I have taken open water, advance open water, deep diver, nitrox, night diver, underwater photography, dry suit, navigation diver,O2 provider, I am a CPR/First Aid/AED Instructor, Rescue diver, and emergency management. I also work as a first responder (non-diving) I have logged many dives since i started diving in 2012. I would gladly accompany you on some local dives. I live in central Maryland

You're diving should be decided by skill level, comfort, and experience. Not by someone else's lack of knowledge and/or fears. Does she let you drive on the Interstate? That can be a lot more dangerous at Rush hour around here.

Back
Top Bottom