Another lost to Gulf of Mexico oil rig spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think somewhere he posted a researcher had gave him a meter to record depths of fish or something and it was the first time to use it. Rok that is not the deceased.

I think somewhere he posted a researcher had gave him a meter to record depths of fish or something and it was the first time to use it. Rok that is not the deceased.

Yes, my ROK post was in response to cerich's post about young guys with more balls than brains. While part of that applies to ROK, not all does....

"Helldiver" translated into Japanese = kamikaze

I used to spearfish in this same area in the early 90's with a group of buddies. We never joined the Helldivers because of there style of diving. I know some guys used to jump in behind a traul boat to chase the fish behind the traul. Guess we where whooses. I am very picky who I go spearfishing with.

Rok did what any of us would have done. What happened to Mike was tragic. Could it have been avoided....yes...stay out the water. That is how you avoid dive accidents. And that goes for all divers not just us speardivers. We dive the way we do from years of experience and hundreds of dives a year to gain that experience. Over a rodeo weekend I personally have made over 30 dives most below the set recreational limit. I'm not bragging here so please don't take it that way. Its just what we do. But believe me Rok will be the first to say no fish is worth your life. Accidents do happen. And unless we can start breathing water it can happen to any one of us here. We can only hope that we learn from them. But they are very hard lessons. Mike was my friend.

Rok did what any of us would have done. What happened to Mike was tragic. Could it have been avoided....yes...stay out the water. That is how you avoid dive accidents.

Just so you know, there is something between what you do and staying out of the water. You and the people with whom you dive have developed your diving practices over decades. The rest of the world has developed different diving practices over those same decades. You may want to look that and see what those other people do so that they can do dives of equal interest but with greater safety.

Back
Top Bottom