Diving the GC Seaway 24/5/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris kippax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
I was planning a dive for my buddy and I and was wondering if anyone else is planning a dive at the seaway on SAT 24 of May. According to seabreeze the conditions look favourable ( but it is almost a week away ) I was hoping for some local info or even an invitation to dive with some locals. We are based on the sunny coast, we are both padi DM's and are looking for some other dive spots around qld.The high tide looks to be around 4.30pm, what time is best to enter the water?? Thanks for any help and happy diving!!!

The visibility has been great at the Seaway over the past couple of weeks. I dove it yesterday afternoon and it was about 12 - 15 meters. It's best to dive on the high which I am sure you know. High on Saturday is 5:21pm.

I dive it every day or two when conditions are good and I enter in various places depending on conditions. When you park at the seaway you will see a flat outcrop. This is the easiest entry point and when you leave surface you will find the long pipe about 15m to the east and the short pipe runs out from the flat outcrop.

I prefer to head up the seaward end of the wall and enter the water about 15 mins before high and drift back along the wall with the last of the tide. You tend to see a lot more that way. Eventually you will end up at the pipes (which you can't miss) and when you reach them you know you are near the flat outcrop which is where you exit the water. You can dive along the pipes for a while before you exit the water.

The size of the swell determines how far up the wall you can enter the water. A pretty reliable spot to enter the water is half way along the wall. When you walk along the wall you will come to a wheelie bin on the right hand side. In line with that bin is a little spot in the rocks I use a lot.

It will be turn into a night dive this Saturday with the later high tide so it will be worth carrying a torch.

I m heading down for a dive with a couple of others so I am happy to meet up if you like.

Dave

Hi Dave
Thank you very much for sharing your detailed experience that was a very thorough and helpful reply. My buddy is a bit apprehensive about doing a day/night dive for her first dive at a new spot! Which I understand. So we are headed to Byron to dive instead. We would love to join you an other time. Next time I am planning to go down for a dive I will PM you and hopefully catch up for a dive . Thanks again for your help

My wife and I plan to do a couple of dives there tomorrow, one inside along the inner wall. The other will be a drift from a fair bit out back. We are in a white Forester with NSW plates. Say hi if you see us.

Will do Michael, I will be in a white ute with Dive Repairs on the side :)

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 10:08 PM ----------

Anytime mate. Enjoy Byron :)

Well, we dived it but aborted after 7 mins. It was filthy. When we first looked it seemed reasonable. We geared up and walked out the wall and entered the water. The viz had got much worse. Later after lunch we looked and clean water was now coming in. We should have waited till much closer to high tide to enter, but previously we had dived at about the same time and had a nice dive.

Yeah I only ever dive it on high. The seaway is pretty hit and miss as it is so going at high is the best chance of clean water. I entered the water just before high and it was basically a night dive, but the vis was good.

PICT0071.jpgPICT0070.jpgPICT0043.jpg

Sounds like it is not the most straight forward place to dive!
Mike. D we dived with sunreef, the early dive and the afternoon dive. We're you with the scuba world group??
Mike. M shame you didn't have a good dive I would of liked to dive with you and your wife. Next time I am in Sydney I will PM and see if your are planning any dives.
Dive repairs, sounds like you have all the local knowledge please PM me when you are planning dives and the conditions are good as I would love to tag along.
As for Byron diving on Saturday 15m viz with leopard , GNS and manta ray so world class as always.

Chris,
I dived Julian on Saturday with Bluebaydivers and I'm diving the Brisbane this Saturday with Sunreef.
Julian was great wasn't it! Nice to see the mantas are still hanging around. We did hugo's trench and it was spectacular

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom