Seawing nova fins are dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, when I dove West Palm and Jupiter, I'm quite sure I didn't put my fins on until I was at the swim step. I would remember otherwise, because it would have struck me as quite unwise.

I can say I have never put my fins on at the swim step, and can say that putting them on there is definitely the exception, not the norm. This includes Scuba Works old boat Blue Tang....although on that boat if you were unlucky enough to have a spot by the engine cover, you didn't really have room to put your fins on haha. My sample size is hundreds of dives in the area.

I do generally arrive at the boat super early though, to secure a spot at or near the back of the boat to avoid a long waddle.

Also, we prefer diving on 6-packs where entry is generally via back-roll.

I did one time chuckle when I saw someone trying to walk down the beach with fins on at BHB.

Ive dove on a half dozen boats or more from lauderdale to Jupiter and usually dive twice a month or more. I've never been on a boat where people put their fins on at or near the step with the exception of handicapped divers or folks with back issues who had gear handed down after they were in the water.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have been on hundreds of dive boats. Not one of these dive boats briefed putting your fins on and walking to the entry point. I own a dive boat and we have never briefed putting on your fins and walking to the entry point. You, however, along with many of your fellow divers, seem to be smarter than those of us who do it for a living, and sometimes that results in you taking a trip and fall. I have seen this a number of times.

I'm implying that the dangerous thing here isn't the seawings, but perhaps not listening to the briefing.

I've been on several dive boats where fins on early is the procedure. JDC, Rainbow Reef, Flakeys, Pompano Dive Center. Generally the large "cattle boats" where waiting for each of the divers to fin up at the back would probably become a problem for the schedule. They have everyone gear up a few minutes before arriving at the site, then rush the divers in, stressing that you better be back on the boat within 1 hour from when the boat arrived.

In all of those cases they were very similar vessels. I think they were described as "newtons". They all had numerous handrails that spanned the length of the boat for divers to hold onto when hobbling to the back of the boat.

On smaller boats the briefed procedure I've heard has been different, fins on right before you splash. That includes a smaller boat owned by one of those same operators.

I just checked my fins (mares x-stream). They have rubberized cleats on the bottom. Presumably to provide some traction in this situation. I've never had a problem so I guess it works.

I will definitely agree that it is not that safe waddling to the back with fins on. It is just the way it is done to attempt to keep a big group together. Weekday diving is more flexible as there are less folks on the boat generally.

I have also seen divers hit the deck in their dive booties (fins off) on the way back to their seat.

Can we add Seawing Nova’s to the monthly “These fins will/won’t kill you” debates? :D

Can we add Seawing Nova’s to the monthly “These fins will/won’t kill you” debates? :D

They're articulated, and therefore included already.

I agree that fins should be donned at the water's edge and labeling the Novas dangerous is overstated. However, even standing on a swim step laden in gear can make a slip hazardous. Molding-in high friction pads on plastic fins is prudent and ads very little to the cost. More expensive tooling up-front yes, but the unit cost is very small.

Real dive boats are pretty good at making dive decks non-skid but recreational fiberglass boats... not so much.

I don't think we are going to get very far on this discussion as every dive boat op is different. I think we can all just agree that wet surfaces require caution and that some products are more prone to slip due to their material and design. However, that does not make the product automatically dangerous, but just requires more caution when using. I hope you recover from your fall quickly.

One thing that was not addressed by the OP was whether the deck surface was textured. There are some areas that must be to walk around or you are going to bust it shoes, barefoot or fins. I have seen boats that were painted over (without a textured paint) to the extent that the deck was almost smooth.

I dive the Nova and have never had a problem on a textured deck. I don't walk around in them ether since they are LONG. One of the first things I do with a new fin is to take a rasp and scuff up the bottom where it makes contact with the deck, you don't have to get aggressive, just remove the shine. Almost half of the Nova foot pocket contacts the deck with a flat surface.

Any operator that insists on putting on the fins, lining up and walking to the entry point is going to get some grief in a way they might not appreciate. I'm not concerned with taking the extra 60 seconds to don the fins at the exit.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 12:22 PM ----------

I will definitely agree that it is not that safe waddling to the back with fins on. It is just the way it is done to attempt to keep a big group together. Weekday diving is more flexible as there are less folks on the boat generally.

I have also seen divers hit the deck in their dive booties (fins off) on the way back to their seat.

We are in agreement, but "just the way it is done" is because people let it be done that way... You keep a big group together by having each member put a little air in the BC, enter, swim out out of way and wait until everyone is in the water - NOT by shuffling around on the deck with duck feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom