Acrylic or gel fingernails ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAIL TECHNICIAN HERE!

Try a new thing called Vinalux. Cheaper alternative to acrylics AND gels.

I'm in the process of becoming a nail technician, as I have a month left of class. Acrylic can not only build fungus, it can change color. If you were to use acrylic, do NOT use oder-less, wherever you get them done. If you do, tell them to use primer so they will stay on longer than 2 days. If your anything like me, I like to dive in warm water. No gloves, and nails exposed to everything. One can easily get caught in equipment or hit/bang on rocks underwater. (or if your like me, the accidental scratch it down my tank lol).
With gels, you have to file off everything because it's cured under a light. You can't "Uncure" it. This makes it strong against wear and tear. But, the process of filing off gels is so not fun.

You want something strong, because if your like me, i used my nails as a tool when taking off those darned wetsuits. (Thank god for hyperstretch). Honestly, get fiberglass nail wraps with vinalux on top. Vinalux is a stronger polish that doesn't chip and dent as easy as normal polish. It's wear time is longer and is absolutely beautiful!

If you have any more questions, feel free to message me! :)

Am I the only person who has to chop her nails off before diving so I can get a good grip on my wetsuit? My nails all broke on my first dive pulling the damned thing on.

Maat1976, I wear a 5/7 wetsuit in warm water which equals perhaps once a year. In the "olden" days, I had to put cornflower starch in my wetsuit to get it on. Now, I put plastic bags over my feet and can get the dang thing on! I never ever signed up to be a contortionist when I entered scuba....but don't get me started!! Hope that tip helps!

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

NAIL TECHNICIAN HERE!

Try a new thing called Vinalux. Cheaper alternative to acrylics AND gels.

I'm in the process of becoming a nail technician, as I have a month left of class. Acrylic can not only build fungus, it can change color. If you were to use acrylic, do NOT use oder-less, wherever you get them done. If you do, tell them to use primer so they will stay on longer than 2 days. If your anything like me, I like to dive in warm water. No gloves, and nails exposed to everything. One can easily get caught in equipment or hit/bang on rocks underwater. (or if your like me, the accidental scratch it down my tank lol).
With gels, you have to file off everything because it's cured under a light. You can't "Uncure" it. This makes it strong against wear and tear. But, the process of filing off gels is so not fun.

You want something strong, because if your like me, i used my nails as a tool when taking off those darned wetsuits. (Thank god for hyperstretch). Honestly, get fiberglass nail wraps with vinalux on top. Vinalux is a stronger polish that doesn't chip and dent as easy as normal polish. It's wear time is longer and is absolutely beautiful!

If you have any more questions, feel free to message me! :)

lilkittydiver, Take a look at my response above, perhaps a plastic bag might help ya! Thankyou for the tip abou tthe Vinalux. We don't have it at 3 salons, I called around today. Hmm....I detest having "maintenance" stuff...I already have a chip in the polish from diving Redondo last weekend. Grr........, however if there is a choice to be made, the nails will go! I am a drysuit diver with wet gloves and dry gloves. I have a hate-hate relationship with dry gloves...I detest them...but I have sympathetic buddies!

Vinalux eh? Wish I'd read this before getting my nails done today. :)

Everyone who was curious about the vinylux! : CND Vinylux - Weekly Polish

My suggestion is to get Vinylux with a UV top-coat cured with UV light at a salon. That way its tough protection like gels, but not with the painful process of gels. :)

p.s. If you buy your own vinylux, take it to your salon, and have them put it on for you! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom