Pain on the outside edge of the foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so I have talked to my Doc about this, and another one, too, and neither had any answers. I have developed pain in a very specific area -- the outside edge of my right foot where it bows outward. Right where there is that outward bow, there is obviously a bone underneath. I get a sporadic pain, especially when I have a tight bootie or shoe.

A dive buddy told me that it is due to finning -- that there is a tendon that wraps around the foot and when we fin we constantly pull that tendon to move the foot closer to the shin and then extending the ankle.

Does anyone know if this is truly a dive-related injury? And what the mechanics of it might be?

Thanks,

Bill

I would personally doubt it; unless you dive for a considerable amount, far more than most people. Most dives would be an hour, and how much of that is active finning? The more accurate question would be if the pain occurs during diving and just during diving.

Unless your friend is a doctor (and I'm not either) I really wouldn't consider his opinion useful. It's the same problem as WebMD. People look some symptom up, then go to the doctor to convince them that they have African Exploding Head Syndrome. They don't really, but they have the opinion they do.

Does anyone know if this is truly a dive-related injury? And what the mechanics of it might be?

I've had a similar pain for 25+ years. I used to use a bodyboard (aka "boogieboard") when I was a kid, which also usually entails using a fin like scuba diving. When I used to do this, it would just be a matter of time before that specific pain would start to kill my feet and I'd have to go back to shore. Typically within 20-30 minutes. But for me, the pain felt like that part of the outer foot is the "compression" point where the problem started, but the real pain and discomfort was when the pain would then migrate to the middle of the foot. It would be a dull pain that I'd describe more as an ache or a cramp in the meaty part of the underfoot just below the ball. The pain is almost unbearable.

If I were you I would try fins with bigger footpockets. Also, if you use spring straps it's possible that bigger/looser springs straps would help alleviate the "compression".

Reactions: Doc
6th Metatarsal? :doctor:

In skiing, we called it "boot bite".

Bill, I am not a podiatrist (and that's who you should see if this persists) but I'll take a stab at this anyway.

You don't give much info but unless there is a high correlation between your diving and the pain its likely not the cause but may be aggravating the problem. If it is dive related, I think its probably one of two possible problems...

1) The fit between your boots and fin is causing a mechanical trauma to the prominence on the side of your foot. I would expect the pain from this cause to be very localized to the site of trauma and the pain to be more pronounce to touch rather than movement.

2) Irritation/tendonitis of the short tendon that inserts into the the last bone of foot at the base of that bone. It is that area on the side of the foot that is most prominent. This tendon aids in everting the foot and if dive related you may be slightly everting the foot as you kick. This pain would be slight painful to touch but notably worse when you try to evert the foot (pushing down on the inside of the foot turning the sole outward).

*the above opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it :D *

Reactions: Doc
a podiatrist (and that's who you should see if this persists)

^^ This. ^^

I'm not clear on exactly where "where it bows outward" is, but any protuberance can rub, and a calcium deposit ("bone spur") is a common result. I've had one that came and went over the years. It was annoying but never required actual treatment. Anything that interferes with normal movement could also be the cause. If the issue persists you can see a podiatrist and make sure they know exactly where the sore spot is. Their far greater knowledge of anatomy will make it much easier to accurately diagnose the problem and any possible solution than what you'll get here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom