Can someone identify this strange inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
This hose came off of a hookah rig that I just inherited. The diameter is a little larger than a standard inflator and the grove where it locks in place seems to be in a different location as well. Is this an old design, or are there specific models/brands of BC that this hose is meant for?

hose.jpghose2.jpg

Might be an Apeks style inflator fitting as opposed the more common Seatec style fitting. I believe the Apeks style might be more common in Europe.

Might be an Apeks style inflator fitting as opposed the more common Seatec style fitting. I believe the Apeks style might be more common in Europe.
For what its worth.. never saw that thing in my life..
The ones I have (and see people using) is these;
20140518_015155.jpg
Top one for my DS, bottomn one for my BC inflator. I CAN swap them around but its not comfortable as the lengths are slightly different.
I do see some people put "hats" on them, kinda like the DS hose, just different, for better grip though.
That said, I've dived mostly with dutch and british people (except for norwegians)

I think Bopper has it right. The fitting on the hose in his link looks exactly like what I have. Also if you zoom in on the image the end has a large notch in it, same as mine does, which none of the other ones have.

I wish they would just use the same fittings! I have a DUI drysuit and a Diving Concepts suit. They have different fittings so I had to change hoses whenever I switched suits. I finally changed all of my stems to one style so I can use the same hose, or even use a BC inflator hose if needed.

Actually it looks more like a Scubapro QD to me. There are several QD fittings for BCD/wing inflators. The standard QD fitting and BCD hose for 99%+ of inflators is too small a bore to breathe through below about 30 feet. So when companies make combination octo/inflators they need to use a different fitting and a larger bore hose, just like a reg hose. Seaquest and Zeagle shared one large bore fitting (and maybe Apeks as well) while Scubapro used a different fitting for their Air2, etc. You could buy hoses with the mating QD or you could use a standard LP reg hose and an adapter. Then there are the heavy QDs preferred in commercial and tech applications such as Omniswivel and Swagelok. All are just ways if having a quick disconnect. Only the standard BCD one is too small to use for breathing.

Funny thing about the Omniswivel and Seaquest types. The female of the Omniswivel will fit on the Seaquest male, but the reverse is not true. Although I might have that backwards again.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a CEJN connector, most commonly used on drysuit inflators.

Most BCDs etc use a Hansen connector and a few use Seatec.

This hose came off of a hookah rig that I just inherited. The diameter is a little larger than a standard inflator and the grove where it locks in place seems to be in a different location as well. Is this an old design, or are there specific models/brands of BC that this hose is meant for?

View attachment 184401View attachment 184402

It's an Apeks drysuit hose.

I think the new Apeks valves use a standard inflator but for a while they were using these hoses because of the higher flow rate. The over sized flanges are so you can (dis)connect it easily with clumsy gloves on.

The Air2 used to use an oversized hose like this too because the flow rate was higher and they must have figured that it would make it easier to breathe from.

R..

What Hickdive and Diver0001 said....

Back
Top Bottom