Scott Matthew Powell - Down Under Dive and Surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tech_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if this posting should be left to those closest to him but I just heard the sad news.

Scott Powell of Down Under Dive and Surf in Raleigh, NC passed away on the 14th. I had done business with him over the years and found him to be a real professional in our industry.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Down-Under-Surf-Scuba/255587911745

Joy, shipmate, joy!
The ship is clear at last—she leaps!
[SIZE=-2]S[/SIZE]he swiftly courses from the shore;
Joy! shipmate—joy!

A huge loss to the local dive community. One of the genuine nice guys in the sport.

Very sad day :(

Took a course from him and was frequently in the shop. A great person, a great instructor, and ran a great shop. He will be missed by all.

I don't know if this posting should be left to those closest to him but I just heard the sad news.
VERY glad you posted it! I was thinking of doing a post earlier this morning, and this makes it easier, to respond.

Scott Powell was a good friend, a dive buddy, a dive professional colleague, a teacher and mentor to me as a diver and as an Instructor, a shop owner, and my employer. He was also someone who created a shop culture that I am proud to be part of, and have posted about over the years on SB.

For the many, many people in the dive community who knew him, it is a tremendous loss.

I echo Colliam7's sentiments, and glad that I was able to call him friend. I too work as an instructor at Down Under and I am crushed by this loss.

Scott was an inspiring leader and a master at making his customers feel special. I will miss him...well I do already.

Gone too soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Scott was a great mentor, instructor, and friend. He will surely be missed.

I really liked Scott. So very sad to hear the news today. He ran a great shop and an even better dive club. When so many clubs come and go the Down Under club stood the test of time and is was primarily due to Scott. He had a real passion for diving and it could be contagious. For all you folks who worked at the shop and knew Scott on a more personal level than many of us, I really feel for you guys. He will be missed by many.

I am a DM for Down Under and have known Scott since he was the shop manager, long before he purchased the shop. He was a friend and I am not sure the local dive industry will ever be close to the same without him.

I just heard, so sorry about the loss.

DH and I miss Scott too, even though we live far away now. He had a fun, gregarious personality, combined with a wealth of knowledge and experience that he shared freely. We admired him and considered him a friend as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom