Advice on wetsuit for the mediterranean at summer/autumn/spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean-K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I am about to get into snorkeling and diving in the mid-terranian sea (Israel). Mostly at summertime, but also at spring and autumn.

I did the HW on wetsuits, and I was thinking to go one-piece 2-3mm short wetsuit.

Do you have any additional advice or a specific model u recommend?

Dean.

For the Med I'd choose a full wetsuit for all seasons

I worked for a time as an instructor in Cyprus and quickly found that for the first few weeks the water felt warm but as I gradually acclimatised I was getting progressively colder. Whilst people arriving from the UK were happily diving in shorties I needed a full wetsuit during the day and added gloves and hood at night.

I read through some local websites, and most recommend short. I think it could that Cyprus has a bit different water temp or because you are not used to the climate.
I finished the cert in the red sea, which is colder than the midterranian during summertime and we dove in short suits. :confused:

I will be purchasing a long suit in addition when temperatures drop.

I would say a full length 3/2 would be the best. Both for the water temperature and for the sun :wink:

In winter, 7mm is good. Dry appears to be better.

I'd be wearing a full 5mm, the water is not what I'd consider tropical but then I also feel the cold. It's better to be too warm than cold. Once cold there is not much you can do except get out of the water. If you get too warm you can pull open neck and flush some cooler water in. Some people have a higher tolerance to cold than others, there is no hard and fast rule as to what suit to wear in what temps. You know your body and it's tolerance best. Water does tend to feel colder after multiple dives over multiple days. But regardless of what suit thickness you buy I'd definitely go full suit, it offers protection from elements and creatures etc. Good luck.

The mediterranian sea has its highest temperatures in September/October close to 30C. In spring it can easily have below 20C even as low as 15C. Altough the eastern part usually has higher temperture than the western mediterranian sea I would recommend a 5 mm or even 7 mm full suit in winter and spring and a 3 mm late summer to early fall. I dove on Malta in March and it was 15C, so I used my dry suit. Turkey right now is at 23C.

Cheers

Steffen

Written and conceived on my Note

I would say full suit rather than shorty fir the summer time. There are currents some times where the water is chilly cold!!! For the winter time you might get away with a semidry.

I dive with a semi dry in the summer time and if i get hot i just let some water in.

The latest time i did a dive was late October without getting cold. The earliest was April same there.

I know other people who dive all year round and use various suits depending on the season.

If you are tolerant to cold then you re ok with a shorty for the summer time. Winter time i think at least semi dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom