What things in diving give you the willies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interestingly enough, I wonder if some people don't have a different reaction.

A while ago, a sometime ScubaBoard participant and avid cave explorer had a description of such an experience featured on her web site. She described a time when it looked like she was going to die deep in a cave. She had another occasion on another dive in which she ended her dive and left the cave to the enormous surprise of the recovery team that was preparing to look for her body. Reading all that made me wonder if she didn't actually get a thrill from experiences that would terrorize most people. I wondered if she didn't actually thrive on that feeling. I never met her, though, and I only read those things after her body was recovered deep in yet another cave.
Yes and when her body WAS recovered some of those involved told me there was NO sign of panic at all! It looked as if she methodically worked at trying to resolve the problem to the very end:shakehead: astounding! Some people are just driven to push the boundaries. It certainly wasn't lack of training or experience with her. :( we lose too many competent and skilled divers unnecessarily:(

Reading some of these posts reminded me of something that DID give me the willies on a dive. We dived a Mitchel Bomber in PNG. Before we went out for the dive the the Dive Op showed us some news clips of the crew and a clip of their final bombing run. We saw still pics of the crew and knew the history before we went out. It was just too eerie diving that wreck with so much knowledge! Knowing that the last time it was in the air, people were dying and fighting for their lives, that only four survived the crash and made it to shore all captured and executed except for the Captain who survived the war in POW camps:crying2: It is terrible what humans do to other humans.

I have dived wrecks I knew people died on but that one really hit home. Somehow it is different knowing people died tragicly in normal day to day activities like working or travel.:idk: The idea of those men fighting for the freedom of people they would never know, being prepared to and dieing for an ideal:shakehead:

Last edited:
Now if that doesn't dump some ice water down your spine, I don't know what does.
Ugh. It definitely does. And it ties right in with what gives me the willies...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Today while diving, I turned and looked up towards the surface, and then back down towards the reef. Somewhere in that process, I got vertigo, and had the sensation that I might black out for a split second because my vision got all screwed up. The lighting had just changed.. it wasn't very bright, and then I guess the sun came out from behind a cloud and everything lit up, and I guess I turned my head up at just the right moment. That gave me the willies because for a split second, I thought things were about to go bad. Kind of reminded me of being parked, and someone backing up near you, giving you the optical illusion of moving forward.

---------- Post added April 5th, 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

You brought up a good point that reminded me of my own experience with a near death incident. It changed the way I look at death because I realized the only thing I thought about in that situation was my struggle for life, not the potential of death. I didn't think of the pain, or dying, or anything except survive survive survive.. fight fight fight. If I had lost my life then, my final thought would have been to keep fighting. This came about suddenly, I guess if I had cancer or something and it was a long struggle.. my thoughts might be different.

Yes and when her body WAS recovered some of those involved told me there was NO sign of panic at all! It looked as if she methodically worked at trying to resolve the problem to the very end:shakehead: astounding! Some people are just driven to push the boundaries. It certainly wasn't lack of training or experience with her. :( we lose too many competent and skilled divers unnecessarily:(

Reading some of these posts reminded me of something that DID give me the willies on a dive. We dived a Mitchel Bomber in PNG. Before we went out for the dive the the Dive Op showed us some news clips of the crew and a clip of their final bombing run. We saw still pics of the crew and knew the history before we went out. It was just too eerie diving that wreck with so much knowledge! Knowing that the last time it was in the air, people were dying and fighting for their lives, that only four survived the crash and made it to shore all captured and executed except for the Captain who survived the war in POW camps:crying2: It is terrible what humans do to other humans.

I have dived wrecks I knew people died on but that one really hit home. Somehow it is different knowing people died tragicly in normal day to day activities like working or travel.:idk: The idea of those men fighting for the freedom of people they would never know, being prepared to and dieing for an ideal:shakehead:

Boats zipping around overhead.
I live in Turkey and they have no concept of health & safety on land, let alone when it comes to the water. :rolleyes:

Definitely getting stuck anywhere- especially in a cave or something small and cramped. Yikes!

Diving the Oil Rigs here in offshore SoCal, there is usually a noticeable ominidirectional sound of some giant air pressure relief vent that's coming from entire the structure itself, and it sounds exactly like the gushing of a free-flowing regulator. . . :confused:

We like to drop anchor just off the target and follow that line down, couple buds just get way to close to the bucking boat. One went like 10 feet in front and tried to drop without much grace, flailing at the surface and drifting quickly toward that bow eye i just knew he was done. I pulled my reg out and screamed then he finally looked at me frantically kicking to him and pointing. I was very upset and scolded him immediately on the surface, he is more careful now and turned into a pretty good diver.

Another time pretty recently I was on my SI w team 2 in the water diving for aj in 130, they pop up and climb on like every other time. While putting the fish on ice one nonchalantly mentions he still had 8 min of obligation...

Ummmmm, WHAT!? Why didn't you finish?!

Ran out of air...

Why didn't you use your buddies?!

I did, ran him out too...

Put that damn rig on (pointing at my buds ready to go rig) and get down to 30 right ****ing now!!

He does and i go down with him to babysit, I called the day after that obviously, worst 2 hr ride in ever and I don't dive w them anymore. Talk about the hebejebes. :shakehead:

Last story, looking for grouper on a "wreck" in 80 feet, kick just into the pilot house to have a look around. Looking down the hall into the wreck all of a sudden the entire wall to my left starts to move and i realize its the biggest damn jewfish i have ever seen anywhere. Had to be over 1000 pounds easily with a tail over 2 feet wide and i am in a tiny ass room with it. Willies is an understatement to what i felt in there with that fish.

Being at the surface in confused seas when I can't see where the next wave to crash over my head is coming from, so I don't knew exactly when I can safely breath without a reg in my mouth. That's what starts the panic seed deep inside me. I have to concentrate to keep it in check.

Though, each time I'm such a condition, it becomes easier to control.

Back
Top Bottom