Hood with vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the stretchy Henderson H2 material. I don't think they're still selling that line, although a Google search might turn up some remaining stock.

I recently compared a Henderson 5/3 hooded vest made of their Thermoprene(R) material with a Neosport (Henderson's more economical line) 5/3 hooded vest made of their XSpan(R) material, and surprisingly, I preferred the Neosport. It was stretchier and just more comfortable. I don't have any knowledge of comparative warmth of the two because I only tried them in the dive shop, not on an actual dive.

I'm not familiar with Henderson's H2 material that rongoodman mentioned.

I finally tried on a bunch of stuff and got a lava core vest and a separate lava core hood. It was the only way I wasn't super uncomfortable (at least with what they had available at LDS). My head is also too big, the vest size would fit great but on my head it was way too tight.

Not sure if that helps, but just my two cents....

I will be diving in two weeks and will do a full review about warmth when I get back. I have a Bare 3 Full that is some type of super stretchy material that I absolutely love that I will pair this with.

Buy one and wear it around the house for a few hours, that should resolve the feeling of being strangled, but 5mm is going to be tight from any Mfg.

I finally tried on a bunch of stuff and got a lava core vest and a separate lava core hood. It was the only way I wasn't super uncomfortable (at least with what they had available at LDS). My head is also too big, the vest size would fit great but on my head it was way too tight.

The reason I bought the neoprene hooded vest was that the Lavacore hooded vest I had been wearing just didn't provide enough warmth. In my opinion, Lavacore is a case of "too good to be true." Lavacore trades off warmth for comfort. It's very comfortable, but it's equivalent in warmth to something like 1.5 mm of neoprene--not enough in my case.

I recently compared a Henderson 5/3 hooded vest made of their Thermoprene(R) material with a Neosport (Henderson's more economical line) 5/3 hooded vest made of their XSpan(R) material, and surprisingly, I preferred the Neosport. It was stretchier and just more comfortable. I don't have any knowledge of comparative warmth of the two because I only tried them in the dive shop, not on an actual dive.

time will tell for me. I also bought it to layer with a full 3 for Bonaire in the summer, which I got a little cold in towards the end of the trip after multiple days of repetitive dives. Since the water temp there is usually about 80F its not like I really need a lot of extra warmth, hopefully it will be sufficient. Honestly LDS doesn't carry much else in the vests/hoods and combos.

I know for other trips I am going to just have to suck it up and get a 5 Full.....

time will tell for me. I also bought it to layer with a full 3 for Bonaire in the summer, which I got a little cold in towards the end of the trip after multiple days of repetitive dives. Since the water temp there is usually about 80F its not like I really need a lot of extra warmth, hopefully it will be sufficient. Honestly LDS doesn't carry much else in the vests/hoods and combos.

I know for other trips I am going to just have to suck it up and get a 5 Full.....

Ah, I see. A Lavacore underneath a 3 mm full suit in Bonaire might be just right for those who get chilled after a lot of diving in 80F water. A 5 mm is so bulky, I try to get away with a 3 + Lavacore whenever I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom