Tipping at Cocoview?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basscat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to CCV for the first time in a couple weeks, and though I have read a few hints here and there, I would prefer details. Should I bring US cash? Can I charge a lump sum tip on a credit card at the end of the week? Get local currency at an ATM someplace? Should I tip the dive boat crews each day? Any details appreciated, thanks in advance...
I'm a Cozaholic, and am used to tipping as I go, but whatever the preferred method is at CCV is OK with me.

IIRC, CoCo View will give you a tip envelope on the day before you depart. Whatever goes into the envelope (they recommend 15% of total reservation cost) gets split among resort staff, which DOES NOT include the boat captain or DM's (they work for Dockside Dive Center). Additional envelopes are available if you want to give a tip to a specific individual. There's no ATM handy, and $US is the currency of choice. I think most people give tips out either on day 1 (hoping for the service they're going to get regardless of tipping in advance), or on the day of their last dives. If you want to recognize someone specific and they're not around, you can leave an envelope with the ladies in the front office .... they'll make sure it gets to the right person. Pooled tips can be paid by credit card. Tips for boat crew should be paid in cash.

Doc (formerly Roatan Man) cut n' paste something a while ago from the CoCo View FAQ:

How Does Tipping Work?
We have a general tip pool here at CoCo View. You will find an envelope in your departure packet (additional envelopes are available in the main office) and can place your tip money in the collection box located in the main office. The pool consists of employees from the bar, kitchen, food serving, housekeeping, and maintenance staff. The two dive staff members that fill tanks are also included in this pool.
As for our dive staff, please tip your assigned Dive Master and Boat Captain directly at the end of the week. All of the dive staff is available on Fridays. If, however, you are unable to locate either your dive master or captain, please obtain an envelope from the main office and deposit the envelope in the lock-box. Be sure to write the names of your dive master and captain on the outside of the envelope and instructions as to how you want your tip distributed.
Tips generally run 10-15% of your hotel package price. However, please feel free to leave what you wish. Tipping is based on service. If you feel a particular member of our staff has been more than helpful and would like to designate a portion of the general tip to a certain worker, or leave a special acknowledgment to a certain worker, feel free to either hand them their tip personally, or mark the information on the outside of an envelope, place it in the collection box, and we will see that it’s honored.
For those of our guests who like to leave behind small items for the housekeeper, we ask that you place these items, on the pillow so that she can easily see that you intended to leave it to her and that it is not something accidentally left behind.

Just to be more specific about divemaster and boat captain: "The money in the 'general' envelope is being divided among all staff except the dive master and the boat captain. Those you tip separately. Carol suggested US$10 per day each for the captain and the dive master. Tips are usually paid in bills, but you can also charge gratuities." Link.

Pay the last day... put your general charge on credit card at the office. Tip your DM and boat capt in person with cash. They will be down at the dock all day. My recommendation.

Also.... IMHO these are be best, safest, friendliest, and hardest working DM/boat crew anywhere. They deserve good tips.

We usually bring thank you cards envelopes for the DM and captain and hand them to them personaly at the end of the week. You will have the same DM and captain for the whole week.

When I went I paid at the end of the week with cash. I don't like the idea of paying tips with credit card if I can get away with it. When I was there I put money in the room envelope, then handed the DM/ and boat captain separate tips, and also a small extra tip directly to the fill guy who was working his ass off keeping those nitrox tanks ready for everyone. As far as amounts go, thats subjective to the one giving out the tips. I think I left $100 for the housekeeping staff/ $75 dive master/ $50 boat captain/ $10 for tank guy. Seems right, I could always double check my trip report if needed.

We did more like 15% of our bill for the resort staff (which included the tank fill guy) and $15/day/person each for the dive master, and the same for the boat captain.

Last edited:
looks like everyone has given you great info...about credit card tipping...it will be several weeks before the DM/BC receive the tips if you use credit cards always give cash if possible...also any dive gear that is in good shape that you no longer use and are not going to sell the guys are always happy to get it. I had a friend who gave one DM a set of old regs in perfect shape he had them serviced before he brought them down...another friend gave him a dive light and a set of fins....I am leaving June 7 woo hoo...ready to go

So, if the total cost of the hotel package was around $3000 for 2 of us, how would we break down the tip? (based on people who have visited past experience)

One of the ATM's at the airport gives Lemps. The other US$. I'm fairly certain they warn you prior to dispensing.

Back
Top Bottom