Silent computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computer isn't high end. I've never (heard?) the alarm. Silly question, but regardless of one's competency, doesn't any alarm mean you messed up? Why would you turn it off?

I must remember to wear my computer on my right wrist because if I wear it on my left like a watch, it beeps every time I lift my inflator hose to dump air on an ascent. <beep beep> you're going up too fast. No, computer, my arm just went up a little fast, my core is holding steady.

My sister was using the same computer when diving nitrox and she accidentally dropped about 50cm below the MOD. She said the computer went absolutely bat**** at her, there was no way she could ignore it.

Yes other peoples beeping computers are a mild annoyance, but I'd rather have my computer beep at me when I dump air or inadvertantly drop below an MOD.

I've turned off the alarms on every new computer when I set the date and time.

I've had high frequency hearing loss since I was a child, and cannot hear most things that "beep", unless they are very loud or very close. My current primary dive computer is a Galileo Luna, it works very well for my diving, but unless it within about 4" of my ear, I'll never hear any alarm. Yes, I've purposely made alarms go off just to see if I could hear it.

It is a good idea that a dive computer should try to get a diver's attention when something not right, ascending to quickly, exceeding no stop limits, low air, etc. I don't think that sound is the best way to do this. Didn't we learn in Open water class that sounds travel quicker and farther in water and it may be difficult to identify the source and direction of a sound?

As for an alternatives, perhaps a red light, this way it doesn't effect night vision, or vibration/shake.

The more alarms the better- sound, vibrate, siren. People do not monitor their gauges often enough. That is one of my five "bad habits" of recreational divers. Novices do better that casual divers, and some divers who know better can be bad at monitoring their depth and air. The mare bells and whistles, the better, I say.
DivemasterDennisIf the offending diver doesn't notice them, maybe his buddy will.

No ... no ... NO!

As we've seen in this thread ... the people who are making those noises tend to "tune them out".

I shouldn't have to listen to your sounds, sirens, beeps, quacks, etc. It's pollution. If you need noises to tell you you're exceeding your limits, then you need to throttle back your dive profiles until you develop better skills.

Be considerate ... don't force your noisy computer on everyone else in your vicinity ... ESPECIALLY if you're just going to tune it out anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My computer isn't high end. I've never (heard?) the alarm. Silly question, but regardless of one's competency, doesn't any alarm mean you messed up? Why would you turn it off?

On the flip side - I plan my dives and dive my plans. I use my computer only to validate what I know - if I do mess up - I know it and I am mitigating the issue. I don't need the computer to tell me I messed up. I may need the computer to validate my next step - like do I need a brief deco stop. But I am already thinking about next steps and options.

Dennis, I couldn't be more surprised to see this attitude from you. Aren't you the author of the diving manners books? At the very least, I'd have thought you found it bad manners to be making all that noise.

My Oceanic Geo 2 has alarms turned on - sorry if that offends anyone. It also has a red LED that flashes when an alarm is sounding.

We are all human and humans make mistakes - even those that are much more experienced than me. Just take a look at the accidents and incidents board for proof of that. Anyone that says they don't want or need reminding of an impending disaster is a liar or an idiot in my opinion.

If all is going well on a dive I will not generate any alarms and I can feel smug about it. But, if I stuffed up, then I'd rather have a noisy alarm than the other possible consequences. If any of you don't like that then tough - it's my life and I choose to protect it as I wish.

If the alarms were even remotely connected to "impending disaster", that'd be one thing. But they're not, as shown by the numerous muppets who merrily flail through an entire ascent, if not an entire dive, with their uber-safe computer just wailing away over some perceived slight to the programmed dive parameters.

There's no need to have your computer yell at everyone in the area if you dip 6 inches below your MOD. There's just not, and no amount of repetition of the argument BECAUSE SAFETY!!11eleveneleven will change that fact. Now, if you're 30' below MOD or maybe you've been 10' below MOD for 5 minutes, perhaps that merits a chirp or two according to your mindset. But that never seems to be how these things are designed. And really, if you're that far outside your dive plan...and you don't know it already...you're probably dead or dying.

And there never seems to be a way of silencing them after acknowledging them, either. Muppet ran his tank below his AI-computer's reserve threshold? We get to listen to the alarm for that fact all. the. way. up. from. 130'. Because Safety.

It looks like we're debating two different concepts:

1) those who are oblivious to their computer's alarms (and likely their profiles)
2) those who use / value their computer's alarms and respond to them appropriately.

I have heard my suunto beep after ascending a bit too fast, and it beeps when I surface. I've never heard a computer squawk continually, but I have had little experience diving in the tropics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom