Someone post a good PNG trip report.....preferably from the MV Febrina....any takers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having been to PNG many times I can confirm it can be a pain travelling around there and it does seem to be getting worse BUT the experience of the whole country is worth it. The diving is amazing but everything else should not be ignored. The country is fantastic, the people, the geography it is an amazing country and you should take it all in.

To the person going to Kavieng soon, I would say try to dive with Lissenung island as they are the best operation in the area. Dietmar and his staff really know the reefs and dive sites. They also have better boats and can get you to dive sites the others cannot. You can ask if they are heading up to three islands harbor at the time when you are there, you can dive on the WWII sub tender and mini-sub. Locally depending on what you want to see, Albatross channel, eagle ray pass and Peter's patch offer some great current diving with lots of pelagics as well as great reefs. If you prefer macro, Ral island and bottleshop is where you will want to go, and there is dozen's of wrecks in the area too. Enjoy, Kavieng is one of the best places you can dive.

I have been diving aboard the FeBrina once every year (except 2) since 1993, and just keep going back!! It may be an older, smaller liveaboard, but their experience and knowledge of the dive sights is unsurpassed. Alan Raabe has been a leader in conservation in installing moorings to avoid the damage that anchoring can cause. If weather is other than seasonal for the area you are diving, they can manage to find alternative sights that allow great dives. The diversity of marine life is wonderful!

Although there are many areas in the Pacific I still wish to visit, I have been (so far!) to Indonesia, the Philippines, the Solomon Islands, Malaysia and Australia. In May, I will be returning to PNG for one week at Lissenung Resort (my friend one a trip there) then another week on board the FeBrina, and expect it to be just as good as all the other years. To show I am not just in a "PNG rut", in September I am headed to Fiji for 2 weeks!! (anyone want to join my sisters and me?)

Hope you have only pleasant experiences and super dives!!

Air Niugini CAN be (and often is) difficult, but you just have to relax, "go with the flow", and if/when you miss your connection, you must realize that the FeBrina crew will know and make arrangements to get you on board when you arrive. Their folks do a SUPER job!

HA!! Hiya Dale!

BTW, Dale is my sister and the one who dragged me to PNG the first time I went. If you go on the FeBrina, be sure to say hi from the notorious FINCH sisters. You will likely get a fun (?) response from Alan.

One thing I love about PNG, especially Kimbe/Father/Witu/Gazelle/Rabaul is that you will get villagers visiting the boat, staying all day to watch everything. These are not selling tourist trinkets, but will often bring fresh foods that they trade with the FeBrina's cook. Alan brings all kinds of trade items like noodles, rice, soap and sugar. He is very generous with his trading. He will get beautiful fresh fruits and veggies to serve up. Often the villagers will bring all of their kids, so that they will get exposure to westerners.

Children paddle their own outriggers much the way kids here ride their bikes around. You will see kids paddle a LONG way from shore. It is fun to bring pens and pencils to give them for school. Also "lollys" (any candy) is never passed on by the kids and much appreciated.

It's interesting to see the blond hair common in some areas of PNG

One thing for a female diver to keep in mind, there is a clothing "taboo" on women's dress there. While they could care less if a woman is topless, they want the waist to knee area to be covered. So, bring a lap lap (sarong) and wrap it around you at all times. Short shorts is really discouraged while in town of with the villagers around.

Have the Finch girls been to Raja Ampat to be able to compare? Thx

Seems similar to the Solomons. Going there next July than RA(Misool) in Dec. I don't hear the same issues with Solomon Air unless I've missed something....I did book through an Ozzie dive travel outfit so I assume they know the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Too bad.

I have dived many times on the FeBrina and find them to be a great operation. Your loss was, hopefully, someone's gain.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quite frankly, I could not care less. Quite apart from the misgivings about the boat and the crew, there have been quite a few horror stories about travelling to PNG. A few travel agents in Europe have actually removed that destination from their lists.

Seems similar to the Solomons. Going there next July than RA(Misool) in Dec. I don't hear the same issues with Solomon Air unless I've missed something....I did book through an Ozzie dive travel outfit so I assume they know the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Internal flights in the Sollies are a bit hit and miss too. The airline has very few planes and once one has a problem there is a quick knock on effect. As others have said the trick is not to arrange your connections too tightly. If you can plan to arrive a day early. The other similarity between PNG and Solomons is that there is fantastic diving where you dive without other boats being on the site. Truly magic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom