Looking for dive advice for Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan is pretty flexible and a very very good diver who knows how to take care of his customers. If you are interested I can ask him re dropping you at Phi Phi

Thanks Wingy for all the great advice! I may ask for your help with Dan. But the more I hear about the island the more I'm leaning towards staying in Krabi and just taking the trip out to the island that Dan's company offers. Sounds like it's a safer bet.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 01:09 PM ----------

1. I love Phuket and I don't like Phi Phi. Phi Phi is kinda sleazy and there's not much that attracts me there. I suggest staying at Phuket instead.
If you go to Phuket, I suggest staying at Kata. Avoid Patong, the roads there are under construction and it's a mess.
2. No. I did an LOB around Phi Phi and I didn't really like it, except for Hin Deung and Hin Maueng. The rest of the sites were meh.
3. See (2). There are Mantas and if you're lucky whale sharks there.
4. Never dived at Krabi
5. For Phuket, definitely stay at Kata. Check Agoda and TripAdvisor. Lots of very nice hotels for very little money.

Thank you! I think my plans are changing more to a night or two in Phuket and the rest of the week in Krabi so your information is well received! I'll look into Kata.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

Phuket and Phi Phi are very different. Phuket is an island the size of Singapore with a population which swells to over a million in the high season. It has both crowded beaches, traffic, but also and secret, secluded and empty beaches. It has a bustling nightlife, huge red light district, sprawling dance clubs, large shopping malls, but also tranquil, secluded getaways where you can swing in your hammock while dosing to nothing but the sound of tukows (geckos). You can party like a rock star or trek through the jungle all day and not see another person. Up to you, as they say here. One note about Patong. It's dirty, seedy, overcrowded and the Thai's there are rude, and often not Thais at all but from neighboring countries. I am sad for those tourists that are left with an impression that this is Phuket, or that this is Thailand.

Phi Phi is a small island with a dirty town center which grew organically after the tsumani, lacking any infrastructure. There are no cars but you will be run into by someone on a bicycle at least once. And you will probably get sick. Everyone I meet that have just come from Phi Phi suffer GI problems afterwards, as was teh case for both I and my business partner on our last visit. One instructor friend of mine spent 2 days in the hospital there with stomach pain from an unknown cause. In recent years, two sets of young female tourists have died their for unknown reasons after getting horribly sick. Something is seriously wrong with that place. All the good dive sites are divable from "civilization." Stay in either Phuket, Krabi or Koh Lanta and day trip to the Phi Phi sites. I agree with the other poster, Kata Beach is probably your best bet in Phuket. Not to overgrown yet, and you can even dive off the beach there. It's not a "can't miss" dive site, but I always find some cool things there. Hin Deang and Hin Mueang are off the hook with manta's right now. Get there if you can. I also reccommend King Cruiser wreck, and Phuket's Shark Point and Anomeone Reef both have had Leopard sharks this week. And the black tip reefies are still running along Palong Wall.

:)

Joe

JOE! Thank you for saving my life!!! LOL Quite possibly, literally. I do not want to stay on Phi Phi now. I'll take a boat ride out there one day and dive but that's all I'll do. As for the impression left on me by Phuket, I wouldn't worry too much about. I came to Thailand 2 years ago for 3 weeks and fell in LOVE with everyone and everything. I can't wait to get back. I didn't like Bangkok too much, so I'm assuming Phuket will be similar "big city" type. But I can deal with it to see the natural beauty I want to see there. I am just a little nervous because last time I was there, I had a host family of sorts drive me around and plan everything. This time I'm on my own, and with a friend who has never been. So I feel some level of responsibility to make sure it goes smoothly!

All you guys have been so wonderful! You've already changed my trip dramatically and made me feel so much more confident in the decisions I am making! Thank you so much. Please keep the info on Phuket and Krabi coming if you're just reading this thread. Any experiences or stories are welcome.

If you go to Phi Phi, be careful of drinking the alcohol there. It's way too cheap to be real, it's probably moonshine and folks have died from drinking the stuff in Bali, Lembeh and other diving areas.

If you can ride a motorcycle, that's your best mode of transport in Phuket. Cheap & really convenient. About USD$7-8 a day to rent a good scooter.

Yes, Phi Phi does have its problems, but the writing here is way, way too negative. I like to go to Phi Phi on occassion for a relaxing couple of days.

Regarding motorbikes and Phuket: be really careful and don't rent one if you don't have motorbike experience.

I'm currently doing my divemaster in Thailand, so here's my .02: I've been to Phi Phi at the end of high season (last May) and it was way too crazy for me, but that's just me. Currently I live in Khao Lak, just north of Phuket, which is nice and quiet. But to each his own, I'm not a big city kind of person. The diving in Phi Phi was nice, but not spectacular, but then again, I was there when vis was going down and I didn't do the top sites, so maybe after I go back and do it properly, I'll change my mind.

Personally, I've been diving the Similan Islands - Diving in Similan Islands, Thailand - Liveaboard and Day Trips (plus Richelieu Rock - Diving in Richelieu Rock, Koh Tachai and Koh Bon, Thailand - Liveaboard and Day Trips) constantly for the past 2 months, and I absolutely love it. You might want to check it out, and if you're more of a nature lover, you'll get spoiled rotten around Khao Lak - you have the Lamru National Park - National Park of Thailand, Online Reservation National Park of Thailand, Forest Park of Thailand, Thailand National Park, Thailand Forest Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, Royal Forest Department, with rivers and waterfalls, and some really nice beaches. Further north there's the Khao Sok lake area - KHAO SOK National Park,Thailand., where you can go canoeing (or diving!). It's really a lovely area, and not too commercial yet (although it's already much bigger than it was last season, with a bunch of new resorts popping up everywhere).

Of course, you can still access the Similan/Surin Islands dive sites from Phuket, if you don't want to stay up in Khao Lak. And if you don't have time to do a liveaboard, you can do day trips as well (although it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the islands from Khao Lak on a speedboat).

Let me know if you need any information about the area! Hope you have a great time :)

Mariana

Check out Koh Lanta too. If you want to head out to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang and Koh Ha, Lanta is a much better option than Phi Phi... You can get to Krabi very easily from Koh Lanta too, via road.

My opinion....take a flight to Phuket. Ask the driver to take you to naiyang for a meal at Octopus Garden restaurant then ask one of the guys at the Nai Yang Beach resort to organise a taxi for you to Krabi so you can see the Karst topography and amazing scenery on the drive. Should cost around $100 USD. If you are on a budget you can get a bus to Krabi from the airport. In Krabi dive with Poseidon Dive Centre with Dan Sasse. You will find there are other flasher shops in Ao Nang but you will end up on Dans boat anyway if you book with others.
PDC1 does the same general sites as from Phuket - the three dive superday - King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point, Anenome reef or Koh Doc Mai plus Phi Phi islands and the local islands.
I have referred other scubaboard members onto Dan at Posiedon who have nothing but good things to say about his boat and diving.
Accomodation wise what is your budget. If you dont have a budget and want a night in Phuket check out the Baray Vila Sawadee Resort in Kata if you dont want to be in the throngs of Patong.
If you do want to be in Patong theres ten zillion hotel rooms for all budgets. Coconut club wasnt bad. I also often stay at Nai Yang if im flying in or out of Phuket.

Accomodation prices will vary a lot from dirt cheap - and often dirty - to top of the range 5 star

Wingy, As it turns out your advice is the one that works out best for me. I am going to arrive in Phuket on Nov 17th, stay one night. Eat at Octopus Garden ***is this the one? -->**(Octopus Restaurant, Nai Yang - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor) and have the Nai Yang Beach resort catch us a taxi to Krabi on Tues the 18th. I'll dive with Dan on the 19,20,21st and chill out on land the 22nd. Fly out on the 23rd. Right now I'm looking for decent lodging for the 1 night in Phuket and somewhere to stay in Krabi. Do you mind me asking for your suggestion in Krabi? If you were diving 3 days, and staying 5-6 days would you stay close to the Poseidon dive shop in Ao Nang or somewhere else on the beach? Is the dive shop in a good part of town to vacation? Thank you so much for your advice. You have no idea how much it helped plan this part of my trip! Took away so much stress.

LOL yes, that Octopus garden - (order the prawn n lime salad!) - the one with half a car serving as a bar. Ao Nang is pretty compact accommodation wise so nowhere is too far for dive shop pick ups. I would only think about staying on Railay on your non diving days (even if you dont stay there, grab a long tail and go over and watch the sunset and go for a walk up walking street). I personally like staying at Baan Habeebee chalets - really cute little place but theyre often booked up way in advance as there is only 6 chalets. Last time I checked (last week for a friend not me :( ) they're rate through agoda was $76 a night. There are a lot cheaper places around though (and some a lot lot more expensive!) - been a couple of years since I was last in thailand but have a look on agoda etc. Make sure you grab a hotel in Ao Nang not Krabi town - and beware of the Grand Centara..too many mysterious outbreaks of upset tummies there from the blogs I get on the travel site I moderate - glad to have been of help. Oh and make sure you have dinner at Kruaathara while you are in Ao Nang.

Ao Nang Hotels

Wingy, just curious do you have any online albums with pictures shot in the Ao Nang area while diving? Or anyone who has dove in the area? I'd love to see what I've got to look forward to!

Jessy,

I want to thank you for all your hard work planning your trip to Phuket.

We just got back from Bangkok (seeing family/Grandchildren!) and did go the short drive South to Pattaya (stayed at Jomtien Beach - Hostel for $25 per nice clean room) where we went diving with a great outfit - Mermaids. Family loved Jomtien Beach. We will go back for short trips. We will be back in Bangkok in February.

But we want to go to Phuket. A guy on the plane had really really terrible dive experience there which included the above mentioned food poisoning. It sounds like it is avoidable by going to the right places.

Please keep posting and doing all the work for our future trip to Phuket. :) And be sure to post after your trip.

If you go to YT's "drmoynihan" you will find some videos/slide shows. Please post yours when you get back.

Thailand 2014 04 22 ScubaMovie+ - YouTube

Thailand 2014 04 22 Scuba & Jomtiem Beach Slides - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom