Options for June in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JG109

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We just found out yesterday that the boat we chartered (annual trip) out of Atlantic Beach for June 16-19 is not running.
Basically I think the group (12 last year but could be a 6 pack if necessary) driving from New Jersey has 3 options:

1) Scramble to find another boat in Atlantic Beach/ Morehead City area.
2) Scramble to find a boat in a different area, not that familiar but I dove out of Hatteras years ago and enjoyed it (we would need lodging).
3) Cancel the trip.

I realize it's very short notice but any suggestions?

What kind of diving do you want to do? Deep wrecks? Ledges? MIx of easy and challenging?

Aquatic Safaris out of Wrightsville Beach has
June 16, number of open slots for Frying Pan Tower and Shoals
June 17, number of open slots on Hyde/Markham. Popular not too deep dive
June 18, both boats are open. Set up any charter you want. Several nice deeper dives Rosin, Normannia, Cassimir, etc.
June 19, only Hyde /Markham is open but you could head up and dive Morehead that day maybe.

We normally do wrecks, a mix would probably work, last year I think we did the Naeco, Schurz, Papoose, U352, Aeolus etc., 110-130 range.
We have done the ledges for game, not meg teeth, in the past.

It's a long drive home, around 10 hours from Morehead City so we normally leave Friday morning after 4 days of diving.

Jamie my son....I guess I shall see ye sometime this summer? We just finished five days straight, conditions getting better every day and got slightly more than 100 basic students through their ocean checkouts. Heading to the Keys for a field school with twenty or so of them then off until the fall semester. I plan on diving much more this year......
Mike

Captain Cox's passing was unexpected and tragic. He ran a fine operation and his presence in the fleet will be missed. There are many groups booked with Diver Down that are having to cancel or scramble to find other options. We run a 6 pack, so we do not have the ability to accommodate larger groups.

The dive industry on the Crystal Coast (Morehead, Beaufort, Atlantic Beach) helps support other local businesses like motels, restaurants and other tourist attractions. Losing an operation like Diver Down has an impact on some of these other businesses. One is the Fisherman's Inn on Atlantic Beach causeway. The owners, Billy and Barbara Brewer lodged the majority of the Diver Down charters. 57 nights of multiple room bookings to be exact. So if you find yourself in the same situation as the OP, and you figure out a way to make the trip work by getting on the Olympus or Discovery boats, please continue to patronize The Fisherman's Inn. Billy and Barbara are good folks, as any of you who have stayed there know. They deserve your business.

If by chance a 6 pack can accommodate your group, then by all means contact us. We can arrange to have the Tortuga at the docks behind Fisherman's Inn while your group has us chartered. Lodging at Fisherman's Inn | tortugacharters.net

Also, worthy of mention is Atlantis Charters on the Atlantic Beach Causeway just steps from the Fisherman's Inn. Atlantis IV is also a 6 pack and probably the nicest dive boat in NC. They have been around for a while and can be hard to book because of their longstanding and loyal customer base. But it is worth giving them a call.

We are sorrowed to have lost a fine Dive operation here on the Crystal Coast, and the entire fleet is committed to helping accommodate the void left behind. We understand the value of seasoned NC divers and don't want to lose them too.

Thanks very much to everyone for the advice.
I have just been advised that our fearless leader is talking/ working with Tortuga.
Captain James- agreed on all counts!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom