My daughter's ashes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a thought. Perhaps the concrete idea is the best. My thoughts are that if the ashes are scattered on the reef, the current will soon displace them and they will end up in the deep. Maybe something that will stay put would be preferable to having the ashes end up in 1500' of darkness?

An urn on the reef might be meaningful to you but to somebody else it might just be litter. I think either scattering or going with a site devoted to rememberance is the best way to honor both her and the reefs she loved.

I am so sorry for your loss; that sort of thing is every parent's nightmare.

Here's an idea: do the concrete thing with the ashes and form it into a standard sized brick with a discreet plaque or carved inscription. Take a dive trip to Cozumel, dive Palancar Bricks, and add her brick to the ones that are already there.

There is this one down there. I don't want to miss-tell the story, so maybe someone else will fill in.

MemorialUW.jpg

If our daughter had been old enough to dive when she died of cancer, we certainly would have scattered her ashes in Cozumel. I agree with the concerns of others that an urn could end up being removed even if you were to try to hide or bury it.

I suspect if you ask about leaving any sort of permanent memorial, the answer is likely to be "no". Consequences of getting "caught", though? Who knows what the regulations say, but I can't imagine that in the real Cozumel anything would happen other than being told "you can't leave that there". Mexicans understand as much as any culture the importance of honoring the dead, and I suspect nearly all of the Marine Park personnel are parents. We are always in Cozumel on our daughter's birthday and on the anniversary of her death. Anyone who learns of this always says they'll pray for her (including some people I know are non-religious) and nearly always touch us (on the arm, etc.). Everybody understands about grief.

If you were to use ggunn's excellent "brick" idea, I think there's no chance that it would end up being a problem. As far as I know, scattering of ashes, if done discreetly, is also unlikely to be a problem. Personally, the idea of my remains dispersing and becoming part of the environment (at whatever depth or light level) is very attractive but I understand it wouldn't be to everyone.

Sorry to hear about your loss Mike,

I understand what you want to do and think that you can make it, specially if you take the ashes outside of the park or to areas that are not easily accessible like Maracaibo (most operators won't take you there because is too far and too deep).

The problem that I find is that transporting human remains require a whole lot of paperwork and I don't think they will let you leave them in a national park. Also not declaring the ashes to customs is a felony but I don't know if you get fined, jailed or deported but with the corruption problems in Mexico they will try to bleed you, but either way they might take the ashes for you.

Don't get me wrong I hope you can do it just don't get caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorry for you loss. Maybe you could have a small concrete figurine made. Then put it on the wreck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PM Answered :)

Again, so sorry for your loss to this horrible disease!

Back
Top Bottom