Best Diving Spots in Australia -- help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Lady Elliot is a great option. Reasonably affordable and heaps of fish life including resident Mantas and turtles until you get fed up with them:) I agree limiting to two dives a day is a pain but occasionally you can also get an extra in but no night dives due to issues of evacuation in emergency situations. There are always some Marine biologists on the island as it is part of ongoing studies. The reef walk with the Marine biologist and snorkeling are excellent options as well.

Sydney, Port Stephens, South West Rock with fishrock cave and up to Brisbane would be a great option. There is also wonderful pier diving and variety at Melbourne. So many people think of OZ diving as the GBR and miss the amazing and unique creatures at the more southern locations.

I would suggest that the best option is to tell us what it is that you want to see and what you want to do. What types of dives and any other tourist type activities you want and we can give you more tailored advice:)

Wantonmien, thanks for the feedback about Bundaberg. I've been wondering if the the diving was worth the effort to organize it but I don't know anyone who's been there. It sounds like it definitely is!
Cheers.

The wreck of the Yongala is an awesome dive, but it's a bit out of the way (you can get to it from Ayr or Townsville). However, if you're in the area or passing through it's well worth doing.

What would weather be like for outer reefs on October??? Mike ball spoilsport very pricey.

Unless you can afford the time and money to go on a week-long liveaboard out of Cairns/Port Douglas, it would be better to dive other locations. You could try driving from Sydney to Brisbane (or the other way) and dive places like Nelson Bay, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay. Far better diving in these places than a day trip out of Cairns.

What exposure protection is needed to dive the various locales listed above? Coming from the USA so I don't know that much about the area.

thanks to anyone that answers....

This time of year (coming into our winter) I would be wearing a 5mm wetty however you may be able to get away with a 3mm wetty anywhere north of Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter time 5mm in brisso especially if your over 35yo. *

Sydney 5mm, booties and a hooded vest.

(*I like to travel with full foot fins, they are lighter and less likely to fail)

Not really a vacation dive, though I'm sure it fits the bill as one of Australia's best spots... :D
Needless to say it's a bit out of my league, so I'll take other people's word for it.
ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • Beyond Toad Hall

Re wetstuits, if you are coming in winter (June -August) and feel the cold, you may want to bring a 7mm for Brisbane and south. Ozzydamo is obviously tougher than I am. :wink:

Reactions: Heg
That's in my top 50 to do before I cark it...a bit hard to get tho...if we''re doin hard to get to then Navy Pier :wink:

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom