OTS guardian VS AGA from Interspiro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagge

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am about to finish a commercial dive course where we have been using the Interspiro AGA masks. Now I have to invest in a system, and since I am not going to dive the complete Interspiro package, but need to use a FF mask I have to make a choise of system.

I have tried the AGA but not the OTS guardian. I would really appreciate if someone who know both systems could give me some info to comfort, how easy the guardian is to clear of water, differences in fogging ?. What about overpressure, I have been diving the AGA in the overpressure mode, is it a big difference to the OTS ?

What about maintenance and durability. Cost of ownership, parts etc, any info will be very welcome.

Best wishes

Jakob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both and service both (and to be honest, I also have a few AGA masks to sell). If you get a good seal with the AGA and that's what you're used to, it's great. For smaller faces, the double seal of the Guardian works better. The reverse p-port attachment of the Guardian was a stupid idea intended to prevent people from attaching other (better) seconds. I guess it is successful from that standpoint. The seconds on both are very simple, but I think the AGA ones are a tad more robust. I prefer the in-out movement of the AGA ambient valve to the turning of the Guardian one. OTS did make some real improvements when they designed the Guardian. Other changes have had to be worked around, like the nosepiece. But both are good masks.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, thanx a bunch Kwinter. Good to know that you know both systems. It seems I can find then at comparable prices so I guess the economy is not the biggest difference. To be honest I dont really find the AGA FF mask very comfortable, but it might just be the concept of ff mask in general. I find that I have some tunnel vision, and lack freedom of movement of the head. Maybe is just a matter of getting used to. They two do seem very similar from a visor point of view, are the degree of freedom regarding field of views the same in the two ?

Best wishes

Jakob

I don't find any noticeable difference in field of view. You will probably pay more for a Guardian than a Diveator, but they do offer pretty colors!

thx a bunch Kwinter, the help is highly appreciated :0). Happey easter, Jakob

I played with both. I like the right vs left side routing with the guardian. If routing isn't a concern on your setup no big advantage. The double seals are nice if you end up with some facial hair, its a little more forgiving. I find clearing it easy. The parts kits for service are cheaper for the guardian. They also offer a repair course for the guardian. If you are unable to make it to a class, they offer an online course and send you tools to work on the guardian for around $180 if I remember right. That gives you acess to buying replacement parts for 2 years. The hose for my guardian was pretty flexible right out of the box. I threw an omni swivel on mine and I don't even know a hose is there when diving it. Lastly the hose fitting ends for the guardian are standard, if I need a hose in a hurry they are easier to source.
hope it helps,
john

Thx a bunch John. Well it does not matter much to me, what side it faces so maybe I should just stick to the one I was taught, seems they are not that different. But thx

Best wishes

Jakob

What kind of work are you going to be doing? A full face mask is good as a backup but most commercial divers use a full helmet.

Hi, obviously light work, its not offshore projects. It is commercial work using scuba equipment, not surface supplied work. Full face mask i standard equipment, alongside communication and tether to the diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both and service both (and to be honest, I also have a few AGA masks to sell). If you get a good seal with the AGA and that's what you're used to, it's great. For smaller faces, the double seal of the Guardian works better. The reverse p-port attachment of the Guardian was a stupid idea intended to prevent people from attaching other (better) seconds. I guess it is successful from that standpoint. The seconds on both are very simple, but I think the AGA ones are a tad more robust. I prefer the in-out movement of the AGA ambient valve to the turning of the Guardian one. OTS did make some real improvements when they designed the Guardian. Other changes have had to be worked around, like the nosepiece. But both are good masks.

Hi, can you comment on the user comments I have read that say the OTS Guardian 2nd stage has a terrible WOB (1.2 - 1.4) & then gets worse under load (harder breathing, eg in a current) Is that a problem with all OTS 2nd stages/upgrades models?.....so is the AGA Divator much better? At least with the OTS Spectrum (expensive for just a mask & Ambient valve) you can use a top notch 2nd with WOB of under 1.0 Although a shop that sells OTS said that they would in no way reccommend a recreational diver use a FFM due to restricted view unless in say cold/dirty water. (I tried on a Neptune FFM in a store & yes the view angle was terribly narrow; even 30% worse underwater!!! then)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom