Torn between DX and Full frame (D600/D610 vs D7100)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenz0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

About to go SLR underwater (1st time) hopefully in a couple of months and I wanted to consider the full frame sensor because I shoot sea/landscapes and wide angle long exposures topside and i wanted to feel the upgrade from a DX. However, I do not wish to disincline with the macro side as well. As we all know how good the 60mm and 105mm is along with the number of subjects you can go with it on DX.

1) If I go full frame, will I lose a lot of productivity on the macro side?
2) Is the image quality of a Full frame's underwater ultra wide shot so good that its worth losing the macro of a DX? Or does the full frame dominate on both wide and macro?
I understand that using the crop mode on the full frame makes the purpose of getting it, pointless.

Since the D610 is out, I might wait for the D600 to go cheaper or just go for the D610 to avoid oil sensors(this is not the issue). Lets focus on hearing your thoughts, "if" you were me, would you go full frame or choose the top of the line DX? (I'd appreciate if we leave the the d800 and d400 unspoken and i cannot afford 2 housings for 2 ports.
biggrin.png

Obviously this depends on me and there is no wrong or right answer. However, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and im sure it will help me decide better.

Things in my mind right now:

option 1. Get a 2nd hand full frame for topside and use DX underwater.
option 2. Get a brand new full frame for both topside and underwater.
option 3. ????????

One of the best features of a full frame sensor is that the files are very large. You can shoot macro and crop like crazy without losing any resolution. Large files are 4,256 X 2,832 pixels. Print size is 54.1 X 36 cm/21.3 X 14.2 inches.

I was torn between full frame D600 and DX. I almost bought the D600 until I came across a tech note on the Nikon site. Seems the 600 can get dust spots or something similar and will need to be send to Nikon for cleaning. My hardest problem to overcome having been a professional photographer/photojournalist was not going for the professional equipment that I really do not need. In the end I settled for a Nikon D5200 and a Nimar housing - being that I am retired and not making money from photography I felt that if by chance the housing flooded I am out $500.00 instead of $2000.00 to $3000.00 dollars.
In past I have used both full frame and DX full frame is nice but DX already has a built in magnification factor. I also out shot other photographers at events with lower level Nikon D300. My personal recommendation is put your money in qualitly lenses and lighting.

I don't think you lose much on macro. You can get a 60mm or 105mm macro lens. However, for wide angle you lose out significantly. I.e. to get a high quality wide angle for DX you'd have to lash out much more than would be required for a FX camera to get the same angle of view and optical quality.
Mind you, if you want a D600, I advice against it due to issues with the shutter. Admittedly Nikon will repair/replace all cases, but you just don't want the inconvenience. I recommend going for the D610, which is a fine camera and doesn't have the bugs the D600 was dealing with.

Hi, I was in a similar position to you (although I was looking to upgrade to a DSLR from mirror less), and was torn between the D610 and D7100 for ages. I think it depends on what you can afford, if you can afford the outlay for a full frame camera then you may as well go for it. However I couldn't so I went for a D7100 in a Nauticam housing (which I would really recommend for whichever camera you go for as they are amazing). Alhtough you may well have bought one by now :wink:

I was impressed with the DX sensor, I could capture portraits of a sun ball over the reef and there was plenty of detail captured by the camera to bring out all the shadows and turn them into visible reef in Lightroom after. The other advantage of a cropped sensor is the Tokina 10-17 fisheye, which if you are interested in wide angle is a must have. Also the 60mm macro is a good length underwater, especially as the water narrows the view of a lens anyway, and you can do anything from fish portraits to some pretty serious macro with it, though the 105mm on a FX sensor is only a little longer of course.

I heard from some professionals that if you are interested in the macro, then not to get a D800, they said that loads of people are getting rid of theirs because of this, but as I wasn't interested in a D800 i didn't enquire further unfortunately. I don't know if this is the same with the D610 or not. I have seen good photos (to a non-professionals eye) with the D7100, D610 and D800 both wide angle and macro.

I am not an expert on FX vs. DX. because I have always shot a DX sensor ever since I have owned a DSLR. However, if I could afford to purchase one at this time I would consider a Nikon D610 and stay away from the D600 even if it's a deal for a new body.

I follow a blog called NikonRumors.com and have followed the D600 oil spot saga from the beginning. Here is a link Nikon issues official statement on the D600 dust/oil issue | Nikon Rumors to some up what Nikon has decided to do about this issue. However, I think they actually started to replace the D600's that have the continued oil spot issue with the new D610.

Nikon USA will fix the dust/oil issue in all D600 cameras for free (even if out of warranty)

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 08:50 AM ----------

Also, just make your decission even harder... :confused:Read This: What to expect from Nikon in the next few months | Nikon Rumors

If you are shooting the D600, the pixel density is pretty much the same as the DX D7000. So if you crop the D600, you are getting a D7000 shot. What is bad about that?

You can boost your macro with either diopters, wet lens diopters or teleconverters.

Really, you can get good sots with both. I think getting a full range of glass is a bit easier in dx.

the major difference is do you want the ability to make huge enlargements?

Back
Top Bottom