divemaster internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stebatta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!
Does anybody know how the dives and the weather are in Cozumel from February/March to September?

Next year in this period of time I would like to do a free divemaster internship, this is work in a dive center in exchange of accommodation, dives and PADI courses from open water to divemaster.

What do you think about Dressel Divers?

I would like to do it in a Spanish speaking country because I'm really interested learning the language.

Diving is my passion and I would like to do this internship as a personal experience.
A way to take some time to do something I love and in the meantime break the routine and meet new divers...

Thank you in advance!

Temps are quite nice in Feb/March although you may run into the odd norte. Currents can often be pretty wacky in March, it seems. It gets VERY warm over the summer months. Water temps will be around 82 or 83 degrees at least and air temps far in excess of that. Hope you like warm weather.

Dressel seems to have a lot of foreign DM interns based on what I have read here but as I have never dived with them, you should take that for what it is worth. They are located at the far south end of the island so if you don't have some means of transportation, you will be pretty isolated for several months. Taxi fares into town will run you a pretty penny.

From your dive count, it looks like you don't have very many dives as yet. Since maybe you will have accumulated some more dives in the interim year before your proposed internship, I will stay away from zero to hero comments. Although as I read this, sounds like you will only be starting your OW certification at that time, then plan to rapidly progress to DM. You might want to check the Going Pro forum for advice on this matter. Good luck!

Thank you for the info!

I'm conscious that is not the best way to learn but as an university student with a future in the research I don't have (and I don't know if I will one day) the time and the money to proceed gradually.

Anyway I made my OW a couple of years ago, but didn't have much time to dive since :(

I will surely check the forum!

Thank you again :)

i'm also interested in doing that program in Cozumel next year. I've heard some good things and some really negative things about dressed, but none first hand from any interns.

Several months in cozumel sounds great, but I would make sure you check out the accommodations and details carefully. Many Europeans do a similar internship in the bay islands of Honduras; Roatan and Utila. Those places are cheaper to live than Cozumel and there are shops that specialize in the type of experience you are seeking.

For a several month dive vacation/grunt work experience as a young person, what you are planning is terrific. But it will likely not make you a 'good' DM from a professional perspective. Don't let that stop you; I did a DM internship in Roatan with no intention of ever working as a DM. It was simply a way to spend 2 months diving every day for about $600, some of which I worked off by fixing regulators. I did have several hundred dives before doing it, though. I met quite a few 'zero to hero' divers while I was there, they were having a great time and who cares if they were not going to be top-notch DMs.

Back
Top Bottom