Nitrox extends NDL but does it have other benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, personally, I'm dumbfounded. The small amount of well controlled data does not support the fatigue sparing effects of nitrox. As a scientist and clinician, I'm grateful that the medicines we use are proven effective and safe in well designed, well executed, clinical trials. Multiple anecdotal experiences do not quality data make.

If you feel better, good for you.

I use hyperbaric oxygen therapy for approved indications in my Infectious Diseases practice and am a certified chamber operator.

Good diving, Craig

1) as already pointed out, no difference in gas consumption
2) as already pointed out: no valid proof, but lots of anecdotal "placebo" effect comments.

I dive air. I do live aboards. I dive longer (not deeper) than anyone else (first in, last out EVERY dive). I do not get tired. I do not get cold. I stay up longer than anyone else & get less sleep (night owl). I am old, fat & out of shape. My knees hurt. I got a wonky shoulder and a numb finger.

BUT: I swim way less than anyone else (yes I AM ways too lazy) & have better thermal protection.

So if you feel better on Nitrox, then I say "go for it" because I do believe that the mind is strong enough to make placebos work (in many but not all cases).

But please think about the other contributing factors to "diver fatigue". Stop swimin' so much and stay a little more shallow.

The best way I've found to reduce fatigue is to slow your ascents. It works well with any gas.
I do on occation get told "youre so damn slow ascending"...
I also often get told I eat way too much for my size, so I guess Im well fed and energized when I start the diving.
I would venture a guess that the combination of the two stack the deck in my favour when it come to not getting fatigued.
Being well hydrated instead of spending all morning drinking coffee probably doesnt hurt either...

P.S. In some cases the other benefit is that it puts money in the dive ops pocket....

P.S. In some cases the other benefit is that it puts money in the dive ops pocket....
Which is why I go for the unlimited nitrox offers rather than paying by the tank as Ill push the premium down to €1 or less a tank rather than the often asked €5.
That being said, I wouldnt do it if I was gas limited on my dives...

That's a good question, and I don't know the answer. What I do know the answer to is that no diver diving tables (we don't insist on a computer, but if you don't, you must follow tables, and we check) has ever reported symptoms of DCS on the Spree. Only divers on computers have ever been treated for DCS. Since I've been here.

That's an interesting observation, and I'm not surprised at all. Assuming folks planed their dives according to the max depth they intended to dive, and then dove a typical recreational dive (i.e. up and down and all around... not a square profile) then their plan is considerably more conservative than they probably think. On the other hand, computers are tracking all of this "non-maximum" depth and adjusting the NDL accordingly...

The other thing I want to mention (I've not seen anyone else post this, but I may have missed it..) and that is that diving nitrox does nothing to reduce the risk of DCS if the diver continues to dive up to the NDL for the gas he's diving, or if he exceeds it and goes into planned deco (as we do here with the vast majority of our dives.

Nitrox's "safety factor" arises only when the diver sticks to air tables or leaves his computer on air, and dives air profiles, while breathing nitrox.

I think I read someplace that it's actually more difficult to "unbend" (straighten?) a diver bent while diving nitrox. I don't believe t myself, but I thought I read that someplace.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2014 at 08:12 PM ----------

I think liveaboard operators like it because it also limits the depth divers will go. I'm forever following some critter down to 160 - 170 on air to get its picture, but can't if I'm on 32! :(

Nitrox's "safety factor" arises only when the diver sticks to air tables or leaves his computer on air, and dives air profiles, while breathing nitrox.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but based on what I have read isn't that extremely dangerous in that you have no tracking of your PO2 levels. Could lead to oxygen toxicity.

For those who think air is for tires, I wonder what one breathes the 99% of the time they are on the surface?

I used to dive EAN more but found it had no benefit (but twice the cost) for most of the dives I do. I shore dive and can do as many dives as I want so I don't need to extend NDL times for any one particular dive and, because I only do a couple of dives at most, I do not seek the less fatigued effect noted for multi-repetitive dives. On the few occasions I do a charter and extending BT matters I use it.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but based on what I have read isn't that extremely dangerous in that you have no tracking of your PO2 levels. Could lead to oxygen toxicity.

For rec diving its actually quite hard to run into issues with cumulative o2 for a 24hr period/week/2 weeks even doing 3-4 dives every day.
Regardless you will have to track your MOD yourself anyways as the computer will believe its 56-66meters(depending on po2 limit) so while going "half manual" anyways you could always check o2 exposure tables too if you wanna be (way) conservative..

P.S. I dont take any responsibility for anyones safety following any of my statements, regardless of how theoretically right or wrong they may be...

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom