Weight Loss and Buoyancy (or lack of)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eat more donuts, fried chicken, doritos, etc and then you won't have this issue!

Congrats on the weight loss though, I'll probably get on that wagon in the next month or so. Will just have to do a lot of BHB dives to sort out the dive weighting.

Are you going to be able to do any of next month's night dives? We still need to hook up for a charter.

We can discuss those details over e-mail, don't want to derail this thread.

I'll probably just dive the 10 lbs on the drift since I don't want to become buoyant. I'll play with it on my AL80 at BHB before I do so on a drift dive off a charter. A failure to descend on a charter would ruin the dive. At the bridge I can just walk back to my car. Thanks for the advice.
Simple. Just carry more weight in your pocket; If you need it during the dive, transfer it to the weight pockets.

:D:D:D
Congrats on the weight loss.

in January I weighed 174lbs, hardcore gym training has pushed my weight up to 191 since then. I was diving with 11lbs total in a 5mm (5lb BP, and 6lbs lead) with a steel 100. I had been diving heavy on purpose (the surge in ft pierce forces me to dive heavy to hold bottom). on my last bridge dive (since gaining weight) I was very overweight, I dropped both 3lb pouches and was fine.

the weight calculators put me at needing 14lbs at 174lbs and 15lbs at 191lbs. trial and error, everybody different.

Well, just always the same recommendation, 2Lbs more won't hurt you, 2 Lbs less could ruin a dive (best case...).
You are talking about shallow dives, if you are not sure of your weighting you need to be on the safe side, as, if you are slightly positive, as soon as you will start an ascent (too deep breath, or whatever reason) you won't be able to stop it, in addition your wetsuit is not crunched when shallow as it is when deeper, so more buyancy.
For the rest all the advices in the thread are good (of course, aren't they?)

Thanks guys. At the bridge with my AL80, 2 pounds are coming off for sure. On the drift with a Steel 100, I'll see how 10 lbs (my normal weight) feels first, then adjust.

Back
Top Bottom