Key Largo - any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like that place too, but you have to sit outside to really enjoy it. The best time is the evening so you can enjoy dinner or beverages and watch the sun set over the bay. Any of the blackened fish dishes are good (its pretty hard to screw that up) and the Thai green beans are good too.

We got one of the "swing" tables outside when we were there at sunset...was great. My wife tried those Thai green beans, I seem to recall...and I also seem to recall they were indeed darn good. So was the Key Lime Pie. :)

Last November I spent a week in the Keys and tried many of the recommended restaurants. For me the Lionfish sandwich at Daze Inn in Islamorada was the best meal I had...followed by the Hogfish at the Hogfish Bar and Grill down in Key West.

Many good places to eat...enjoy your holiday.

BTW if you cannot dive for any reason I highly recommend seeing the Dive History Museum...so many great artifacts and stories to be told.

Happy Bubbles
Oldbear

My wife and I are staying in Key Largo 4/15-4/22 with three kids--ages 5, 7, and 20. Didn't think we'd be able to dive as the 20 year old is a late addition (and can watch siblings.) Would like to do 3-5 shallow dives (new divers and it's been awhile for my wife.) I'd like to use steel tanks as I'm an air hog. Any suggestions of how to proceed? Thanks.

My wife and I are staying in Key Largo 4/15-4/22 with three kids--ages 5, 7, and 20. Didn't think we'd be able to dive as the 20 year old is a late addition (and can watch siblings.) Would like to do 3-5 shallow dives (new divers and it's been awhile for my wife.) I'd like to use steel tanks as I'm an air hog. Any suggestions of how to proceed? Thanks.
My favorite shop, Quiesence Diving, has Aluminum 100 cuft tanks for rent. You really won't burn too much air, as most sites average around 30 feet deep.

Hi all - thank you so much for the replies, very helpful indeed and I've already started a list to make sure I cover everything! I am so looking forward to the food, all sounds fab. And the diving - so excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for 30th of May to arrive! :D

Hi all - thank you so much for the replies, very helpful indeed and I've already started a list to make sure I cover everything! I am so looking forward to the food, all sounds fab. And the diving - so excited!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for 30th of May to arrive! :D
It's a good thing Memorial weekend falls on the weekend before you arrive otherwise you'd have to deal with some mayhem.

Dive Ops - Horizon Divers & Quiescence. Both are excellent. Horizon - big boat to the reefs, smaller to the Grove (usually). Quiescence - 8 pack

Fish House - excellent food worth the cost. There's also a diner (can't remember the name) just east of the the CVS where the road splits south of Diver's Direct - good food and reasonable prices

I've been on three tips to Key Largo in the past 12 months. All three were with Rainbow Reef.

You can check the Web site for up to the minute weather details.

There is a small restaurant across the street from the Holiday Inn. I believe the name is Doc's. It's a local type. Good choice for breakfast.

Mrs. Macs is very close by and a great place for dinner. They get a crowd so timing is everything.

As someone already mentioned, The History of Diving Museum. History of Diving Museum | Immerse Yourself in Diving History is a must do. Located in Islamorada.

Have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Bill

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom