Cozumel recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at El Cantil and dived with Aldora. After visiting the Aldora villas on our last day and spent an hour chatting with everyone we had met with over the previous week....we regretted not booking the villas.

I could have told you about the special ambiance of the Aldora Villa.

Would have suggested staying at ElCantil. But I have a non diving wife and she liked the accommodations where she could stretch out be comfortable. She also liked the idea town was a short walk away. It worked well for her. As for me, I was glad to see Pedro pulling up to the dock that was just outside my door, I had a great time with Blue XTsea and will dive with them again on my next trip.

On another note, I have gone to Coz and stayed at Hotel Cozumel and used Dive Paradise. The AI isn't that bad, if I didn't feel like going to town for food I didn't have to. If I wanted to it was a short walk. No problem. Next time I go to Cozumel I might consider staying at Hotel Cozumel and diving with Blue XTSea. If she is booked I will probably just go with Dive Paradise.

For what you pay in Cozumel either way it is a great time. For that matter at some point I might try Aldora........Who knows? I have yet to go to Cozumel that I didn't have an awesome time both above and below the water.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

An off-topic discussion about the implications of dock fees to Cozumel businesses has been moved here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/480322-implications-dock-fee-charges.html Please keep the discussion here focussed on answering the OP's original question about best dive operators and best dive sites. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Fiesta Americana is the best cleaniest and nicest ALL INCLUSIVE imho. ...

FA is currently closed and under complete renovation.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

"what's the best dive op" is a loaded question around here. The question is, "what's the best dive op for me?"
Here's a couple links to get you started...

Finding a dive op on Coz

dive op reco's

again, "best dive sites"? what type of diving do you like? Deep dives? Walls? Swim thrus? Shallows with lots of sealife & bottom time? mid-range, garden reefs?

what do you want to see? Big stuff: sharks, turtles, rays, eels? Small stuff: blennies, Splendid toadfish, pipfish, seahorses, nudies?

Are you an advanced diver? or novice?

...it's not all as simple as it sounds on the surface. (he-he ... a scuba pun!) :D

My personal FAVORITE dive sites, (currently anyway, they may be updated in May), are Columbia Deep & Shallow, Villablanca Wall, Cedral Pass, Palancar Horseshoe to name a few...but I can't say they are the "best", just my fav's.

Last edited:
We stayed at El Cantil and dived with Aldora. After visiting the Aldora villas on our last day and spent an hour chatting with everyone we had met with over the previous week....we regretted not booking the villas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Come on down...
Your the next contestant on: We're having fun.
Nice to dive with you and your bride. See ya next time.

Last edited:
For sure! It's been a long time since I've thought of my wife as my bride. Probably back in about 2yrs once our son is 15 and we can dive the deeper sites.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

To clarify, I am an AOW diver with 43 dives logged. I will either be travelling with a friend (also AOW diver), or by myself. I would prefer to stay in or close to town. All inclusive is not really my thing I don't think; I'll likely stay in a hostel, although a reasonably priced AI with service from a suitable operator is something I might be willing to try. I want long dives and an abundance and variety of sea life. Sharks, Rays, Turtles, Dolphins, etc. I prefer to boat dive over shore diving. I'm not bad on air, but I'm told there are good currents around there so the bigger the tanks the better I suppose.

What do you think the best DC/ accomms/ sites are for me?

Gopbroek mentioned Tres Pelicanos. They seem well reviewed and affordable. Any one else have an opinion? Do they have 120's?

Also, I will be there at the end of June, I understand this isn't the busiest time. Do any of the dive centers offer deals in the summer?

Last edited:
3P has some AL 100's, not sure if they can get 120's. You might contact the shop, Jeannie will normally answer questions promptly.

Everyone can order AL100 on air from the fillers. Only those few shops that own 120s have the 120s.

Everyone op dives from a boat. There are some places with shore diving, but it is only a supplement to boat diving.
Every site is awesome and pretty much all op go to all the sites. Some advanced sites are restricted to fewer ops, but should not be a concern to you first time there. You won't run out of the great 'regular' sites.
Currents are awesome. If your buoyancy is good, just get in, go down and ride the current. Love current. Close to the bottom for slow, higher for fast.

I would be very careful with the big ops at the resorts to make sure they are not diving a time limit. Some of those call the dive after so many minutes. Others bring the group up when the first or second person goes low on air. Many of the boutique ops allow you to dive your tank. I would make sure when you are shopping for deals you makes sure of that. Also try for the deals; some offer multi-day discounts. I think only one offers free gear rental. You might even find the op you like and then see where you can stay close to where that op picks up.

Tres Pelicanos seems to be doing very well with divers since the started.

I could have told you about the special ambiance of the Aldora Villa.

+1 on the Villas.......These from Nov 2007:
VillaDora.jpg

SunsettheVilla.jpg

Back
Top Bottom