Best Diving Spots in Australia -- help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neil_C

New
Reaction score
Hi I'm thinking of going to Australia for a diving holiday, does anyone know which are the best sites to go to? Obviously the Barrier Reef, but I've heard the Ningaloo Reef is amazing as it is so unspoilt. I've also heard of a good wreck dive near Brisbane, does anyone have any details about this?

Been looking at various reviews online, but I think mostly the reviews out there are somewhat commercial and biased. Would appreciate some suggestions from real scuba divers. :wink:

If you go GBR then go to the outer reef. The inner reef is trashed.

Make sure you go right out and not be conned like we were. Told that we would go to outer reef, paid and then they changed the boat and area and took us to the inner reef. I was not a happy diver. I think Mike Ball does a trip there but it is expensive.

The wreck near brisbane is called 'ex-HMAS Brisbane'. A very nice wreck dive and fully penetrable. Sits at 28m upright in sand. Purposely scuttled about ten years ago to be a diving wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osprey Reef, Cod hole and Ribbon Reef FNQ ex cairns - Cod Hole & Osprey Reef Liveaboard Diving - Spirit of Freedom

Ningaloo is spectacular however the two areas are about 5000km apart. To get to Ningaloo you have to fly from Perth to Exmouth or you could hire a car and do the 14 hour drive and check out coral bay along the way.

Back on the east coast You may also like the Yongala as you mentioned wrecks. Yongala Dive » Scuba diving on the S.S. Yongala Wreck, Australia » Blog Archive Valerie Taylor calls the Yongala her ''last dive'' as in if she had only one dive to do, it would be the SS Yongala.

Unless you can afford the time and money to go on a week-long liveaboard out of Cairns/Port Douglas, it would be better to dive other locations. You could try driving from Sydney to Brisbane (or the other way) and dive places like Nelson Bay, South West Rocks, Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay. Far better diving in these places than a day trip out of Cairns.

Hi I'm thinking of going to Australia for a diving holiday, does anyone know which are the best sites to go to? Obviously the Barrier Reef, but I've heard the Ningaloo Reef is amazing as it is so unspoilt. I've also heard of a good wreck dive near Brisbane, does anyone have any details about this?

Been looking at various reviews online, but I think mostly the reviews out there are somewhat commercial and biased. Would appreciate some suggestions from real scuba divers. :wink:

The HMAS Brisbane I wouldn't classify as better then Flinders reef(cape moreton) rated 2nd best site in Australia Oz geo mag- Best dives sites in Australia - Australian Geographic

Way underrated.... This is the spot coleman and croppe loved so much.
It simply is the easiest multiple Turtle site there is- I don't think I have ever seen less then 6 turtles in single a dive there.
Clown triggers, Harlequin Leatherjacket , Emperor Angels, Moon Wrasse, Banner fish, Moorish Idols and Harlequin tusk fish. Also Sharks and rays including - Great hammerhead, white tip reef, wobbegong, shovelnose, tawny nurse, Bamboo and Leopard Sharks. Blue spot, cowtailed, electric and eagle rays. And Octopus, painted crays, coral shrimp and mantis shrimp.

The Ningaloo Reef is truly awesome. Please don't shortchange yourself and only stay for two days - make sure you have a week, at least. To get the best sampler, plan to fly to Exmouth (LEA) and then spend 3-4 days in Exy and 2-3 days in Coral Bay. You'll need a hire car to get to/from Coral Bay (you can take the airport shuttle but it's a pain in the numpty for organizing things to do on those transfer days and it wastes a tremendous amount of time) - PREBOOK your hire car.

When are you thinking of visiting? Happy to pass on whatever advice I can.

And all of the above posts have great suggestions if the Ningaloo is too far or too out of budget this trip. It ain't cheap but it's worth it (Ningaloo Reef resident since 1996 says)!

Absolutely agree regarding the outer reefs. Mike Ball is expensive but excellent. As others have mentioned, ribbon reefs, osprey reef, hard to go wrong. There are some less costly liveaboards that offer virtually the same itinerary as the Spoilsport (Mike Balls ship) so your budget need not be crushed. West coast is, well, far.

Neil, in last 18 months I've dived the outer reef on a live aboard from Cairns, Lady Musgrave, Lady Elliot & Heron Islands, ART reef & Karma wreck from Bundaberg, reefs out of Noosa, but the best and most easily accessible of that lot - Lady Elliot Island, on any dive - Mantas, several shark species, plenty of turtles, schooling jacks, rays and lots of variation, great diving and nice little island to unwind on, they do limit you to two dives a day which I think is a shame, but those two dives a day have every time I have been there are worth it. Additionally the dives out of Bundaberg, arranged through shop there were excellent, just a bit difficult to arrange.

PS: Weather permitting this coming Easter weekend I'm diving the Yongala wreck, so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom