Freediving fins might help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, the reason divers don't use freediving fins is lack of knowledge. There are plenty of dive shops and plenty of freediving shops but seldom are they both the same shop. It is even rarer for a combined shop to be good at both types of diving.

Good point. Also, free diving is often associated with spearfishing and that alone will turn many scuba divers away.

Also keep in mind that freediving fins are for freediving. They are optimized for that and in many cases are not compatible with the needs of scuba divers. They almost always use a full foot pocket and, therefore, cannot be used with dive boots or dry suits. That pretty much restricts their use to boat diving in warm waters. Also, the long blade fin is one method of getting efficient thrust, but from an engineering perspective it is not the only option. Freediving fins are good at what they are designed for and also for a few conditions they were not specifically designed for.

My complaint is that the dive industry is completely devoid of good propulsion solutions for general scuba diving. As far as I'm concerned, all scuba fins are cheap $50 fins. Some of them just have some gimmicks and add campaigns that persuade gullible customers to pay $150, $200 or more for that cheap $50 fin. At the moment, composite long blade freediving fins are just about the only other option divers have available as an alternative. If it can work for you, great. But why can't scuba divers have decent fins as well? The scuba market is bigger than the freediving market. It should support the manufacturing of good working equipment. The only reason I can think of is simply that most scuba divers are ignorant of what good propulsion feels like and just don't know how bad the industry standard is. We need to change that!

In many, or most areas where there is healthy reef, there is also, more times than not, some surge. The extra 9 inches or so of fin doesn't make that much difference when you're lurching back and forth 2-3 feet with the swell.
If I'm using full kicks and getting the maximum power from carbon fiber blades, they do displace more water and will tire me out. But it's also easy to just to ankle flip little movements and move very slowly.

For me, an extra 9 inches of fin would prevent me from getting position in many of the type of shots I do. Swell or no swell, longer fins make it more likely to hit something in the areas I like to dive.

That being said, I would like to try free dive fins. I am short, thin, small feet, weak legs. I can swim fast, but that is due to kick speed/frequency, not power. What would you recommend ?

...I would like to try free dive fins. I am short, thin, small feet, weak legs. I can swim fast, but that is due to kick speed/frequency, not power. What would you recommend ?

I actually use a DOL-Fin X-15 monofin for my scuba diving. I like it a lot, but it is probably way too far-out for most people. I borrowed and used a pair of Dive-R Minis the last time I was in Kona and was highly impressed with them as well. Dive-R has good glass. That is the key to good flexible fins, fiberglass. You want a good composite blade and then you need to figure out what is a good size and stiffness for you.

Last edited:
Any less expensive suggestions for a 1st timer ? Either I find someplace to demo fins, or I bite the bullet and buy. Can't spend that kind of money to try out free dive fins.

For me, an extra 9 inches of fin would prevent me from getting position in many of the type of shots I do. Swell or no swell, longer fins make it more likely to hit something in the areas I like to dive.

That being said, I would like to try free dive fins. I am short, thin, small feet, weak legs. I can swim fast, but that is due to kick speed/frequency, not power. What would you recommend ?

If you're looking for under $200 you're looking at plastic blades.

OMER Stingray Fins Here is Omer's. They have a very comfortable foot pocket. The guy at this store, Dan, is very knowledgable and helpful. Contact him and send your foot measurements.

FIN BLADES | Riffe International Here's the Riffes. The blades worked well. Not as "whippy" as carbon but much cheaper. I don't like the foot pockets though. Very hard. If you're using a full neoprene sock though they should be ok.

Cressi Spearfishing Fins freediving long fins spearfishing extraordinary thrust comfortable foot pocket flexible cold water Never used these but one of my buddies has them here. He goes all day with them.

I used Riffe Silent hunters for a couple years. I gave mine to my 74 year old dive buddy who swore by his ScubaPro Jets. He's now a convert.

The Omer Millennium is a very comfortable pocket. I put them on my Riffe blades and it's much more comfortable. I also put Beachat foot pockets on another set of Riffe blades and it worked well.

When I first got the Riffes, my buddy, who was in much better shape from running, was still using a Beachat scuba fin. Similar to full foot Mares Quattros. I had a pair also. When I got the Riffes, I could easily leave him behind in currents. We noticed the difference right away.

Now, 12 years later or so and a few sets of fins and pockets. (I like tinkering and adjusting things) my son and I found Moana blades to work the best. (there are others we haven't tried though) Other free divers I know agree. But they come with a Pathos foot pocket. It's comfortable but I have a high arch and it's a bit flat. I had to heat the pocket and stretch it a bit on top of my toes. Using those fins, we required 20% less leisurely kicks on our reservoir to do a lap than any other fin.

Speardiver fins are very nice too. He has different stiffness. But now we're talking carbon and around $375 or more.

Cressi or Omer should work for you. Hope this helps.

Hey ho better get mako.

Fins

Attachments

• 20140308_183020.jpg
    20140308_183020.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20140209_165705.jpg
    20140209_165705.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20140209_165654.jpg
    20140209_165654.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 84

We would recommend that you take a look at the MAKO Fiberglass fins with the SOFT blade option. We offer this fin (in basic black) for about $200. Our fins (and gear) is sold direct, with no domestic retail stores, so we have eliminated the mark up associated with the "middle man". Some retailers will be offering a plastic or polymer blade at a similar price.

MCFFGF-BLK-2.jpg

If you are cost sensitive, we also offer an excellent fin with a plastic blade for about $90, but these blades are a little stiffer than our soft FG blades and the performance of the blades is not equivalent to fins that cost double the price. Incidentally, the foot pockets are identical.

MCFF-2.jpg

We think you will be pleasantly surprised by the stability and control you will gain by having a large fin blade area to work with but the ability to gently cruise without much effort is the primary benefit. Most people will use neoprene socks under their freedive fins- hard soled boots will not work. Keep that in mind when you are shopping.

If you purchase these fins from us, and you are unhappy with the fit or comfort of the pockets we will accept a return. You can even try them in a pool (as long as they are not marked up and remain in perfect condition).

We would love to get your feedback on our fins. Also, this is probably important:

When you swim with freedive fins, you can gently flick the fin tips and inch along with near zero effort. If you want to move along at a moderate pace, you will need to be using a proper kick which uses power from the hips and the knees are not bending excessively. HOWEVER, freedive fins are deceiving, with the slow, steady (more powerful) kick, you may not FEEL like you are moving very fast. It is useful to have another diver along in scuba fins, to help with a reference for speed.

With long freedive fins, you will look like you are kicking slowly and gently, but they will be pushing you through the water at a good pace.

Spearfisherman are aware of this aspect; they can pursue a fish (or try to close a gap) on a skittish fish without resorting to kicking frantically. Rapid, very high frequency kicks ARE detectable by fish and many species will sense danger (or at least intensity) from the diver. The ability to move efficiently, but with a slow, steady and seemingly relaxed kick cycle may also be beneficial to photographers, depending upon their subject of course.

Hey ho better get mako.

Fins

Dude….haha. Just kidding… I didn't mention Mako because I've never tried them. I'm sure they're good though. I've used other Mako products.

IMG_0765_zps2139490a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is no comparison between plastic scuba fins and fiberglass freediving fins, they are world's apart. I have 2 pairs of mako fins, the soft blade and the stiff blade, I take them on snorkel trips when we travel and while the group is flailing at 2 ft I kick down 25' to look under rocks and take everyone's camera to the turtle or save the hot girls mask that was dropped... I'm not a great freediver but the fins work that well.

It's not just the length that makes my fins better, it's the spring back or "flick" that adds so much energy to the fin tip w minimum effort. Scuba fins are molded plastic garbage compared to a pair of nice fiberglass or carbon freediving fins, anyone breathing $800 regs out of $300 tanks kicking around w $20 propulsion should at least give them a try.

Thank me later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom