Aiyanar - dive pricing expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE]
This just in from the ex-training manager of atlantis… the free lance PG guides make 3USD/diver/dive max group size of 6. So if theres only one or two then its 3 or 6USD…

This just in from the ex-training manager of atlantis… the free lance PG guides make 3USD/diver/dive max group size of 6. So if theres only one or two then its 3 or 6USD…[/QUOTE]
You took the words from just one person from one place and then applied it across the whole board!! That is very professional.
I am more intrigued about your forecoming response to Luko because it is about your own resort which you should have first hand experiences.
Stirred fried onion with corned beef for breakfast! No Pinoy domestic helpers in HK would dare to serve them for breakfast unless it is for themselves.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 10:28 AM ----------

Free Lance DMs in puerto galera are even better paid… going rate over there is 7USD per dive/diver in the group but the bigger resorts pay monthly salaries to keep these costs down and keep a stable of guides constantly ready......
"7USD perdive/diver in the group"
One minute it was 3USD and next min it became 7USD!!!! How much do you really know?

Last edited:
This review bothered me alot… So I took time to get to the bottom of things… I had to tracked down all the people involved in it to get their side of how they saw all of this happening. That includes the Resort Manager and one of the owners. So you were right to say that the other guests in the resort while you were there were close personal friends of the Owners whom from what I understand have been away for awhile.

I can see how that can take the attention of the staff away from non-family guests, be assured though that Joyce and I are informed of your comment and are fixing this problem.
Upon deeper investigation i found out that the Head Chef was not actually present for most of the duration of your stay and that the "famous chef" only arrived on Christmas Eve. He was actually the one who prepared you Turkey Dinner as well as whatever sidings went with it. (more on that later).

In the case of the Ice Cream you describe that is actually not a gourmet recipe but a traditional Filipino Ice Cream Recipe that includes Jack fruit, Milk Cheese cubes (no gruyere there) and full Cream Milk made into ice cream. This ice cream flavor is called Queso Langka if Im not mistaken. I Admit that it is an acquired taste that may not have agreed with your french palate. In any case our Ice Creams are freshly made; Filipino Traditional and Fruit Flavored ice creams which you can find on the streets of the Philippines. Having this flavor is one of our little ways of sharing our culture with our guests. With this in mind, and you pointing it out; we may as well have desserts which are more neutral for the foreign palates.

As for the oily heavy breakfasts, that again is a Filipino cultural thing that I must apologize for where people from the west are used to having a light breakfast; filipinos do the heavy complete breakfast with rice and assorted meats and a fried egg on top and unlike central's comment its not only the maids who eat this types of breakfasts but all of us.

There is no excuse for you receiving the dish cold though there lies the lapse in the service that has to be addressed. At present though during breakfast there are bread baskets, Different types of Jams, Chilled Butter and a bowl of assorted cups of yoghurt on the buffet counter; on the higher occupancy days even an Egg and omelette station is also present. Taking from your cue I will suggest a pancake station as well.

Locking of the dive shop at night is standard operating procedure for the safety of the scuba gear. Upon guests request any member of the staff can get a key to open the dive center if needed.

The special christmas dinner, or lack there of surprised me as that Xmas dinner was on the books for months. And upon speaking to the RM, she informed me that the stuffed turkey was really the planned dinner for all the guests in the resort at the time. And a special menu was prepared for Christmas Day Dinner as well. There is definitely some miscommunication that went on there making you think Mr Corpus Arranged it...

I agree with you the dive center operations are amazing, probably because Anabel, the wife of the owner is into photography so, everything is indeed focused on photo, (which is not to unplease me since I am also a published UW photographer
pastedGraphic.pdf
) that said I feel that if you are not a big name in photo or introduce yourself as one, you will receive little care about. Probably they might be going out of their way if your name matters in the UWphoto circus and will be probably asked to kindly write a good review (it's fun to notice that some photographers only wrote one article in Tripadvisor... Weirdly that was about the Aiyanar).

Aiyanar should focus more on their guest rather than on the media exposure they'd like to provide.

Now Luko Really?… Your last paragraph seems like an attack on Aiyanar… Specially since during your stay there were no other Photographers in the resort for you to make a general comparison like that.

The Aiyanar Operations Staff i’d like to think goes out of their way for all our guests not just published photographers. I think proof of this is out of 20 reviews trip advisor reviews, only one or two are by published underwater photographers. Most are by our other guests who come to enjoy Aiyanar on a regular basis.

In a perfect team environment mktg and sales team get the guests on board initially, and operations team makes the guests want to come back. At one of my previous jobs the mktg and sales office would send the guests, we would receive entertain and dive them then send them on their merry way excited already to take their next trip with us.

Like I always say aiyanar is a work in progress...

With all this having been said, I truly appologize for your negative experience you had at Aiyanar, and since we've started the operations team; has just been constantly trying to make the guest experience better.

Just a question for you Marco, with no harmful intentions : did you actually stay at the Aiyanar in the recent months and got reviews from real customers (I mean not VIPs)?[/QUOTE]

For this last question, actually i arrived at aiyanar the day you left and i was there until new year's eve chatting and diving with the guests. None seemed to have a negative experience like yours and we were fully booked from the 26th to the 3rd. I also try to go on the weekends but now it seems like every other weekend and yes I do talk to the guests, I join them for dinner, or a dive; sometimes i just start a conversation on the steps.

If im not there to see them off; i send a follow up thank you by email 2 or 3 weeks after theyve departed. (i am offcourse talking about guests i personally had contact with).

The truth is with me, when the guest is a VIP usually I just drive them over so we can discuss everything we need to in the car. After arriving at Aiyanar I leave them alone most times to experience the resort for themselves; Coz if i keep close quarters Id badger them with sales talk all the time... When the Aiyanar experience should speak for itself.

In any case, since it has been 4mos since your negative experience with us; we would really like to make it up to you and if you would give us a second chance. Maybe on your next return to Anilao? We would really like to change your mind about Aiyanar...

… The boat prices are set and the dive guide prices are set as well… Most guides are freelance and get about 25USD per dive…
25USD per dive....in Anilao

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 10:59 AM ----------

As for the oily heavy breakfasts, that again is a Filipino cultural thing that I must apologize for where people from the west are used to having a light breakfast; filipinos do the heavy complete breakfast with rice and assorted meats and a fried egg on top and unlike central's comment its not only the maids who eat this types of breakfasts but all of us.

I like the last three words "all of us"!!!! Us = Pinoys NOT tourists. I thought any experienced resort manager should know about this!!
Why don't you serve dry fish!!! That would go down like a bomb!!
Filipino cultural thing!!! So you don't provide fork, knife and spoon? Kamayan style!
All I can read is feeble excuses.
Luckily there are suitable alternative in Anilao!

Last edited:
I like the last three words "all of us"!!!! Us = Pinoys NOT tourists. I thought any experienced resort manager should know about this!!
Why don't you serve dry fish!!! That would go down like a bomb!!
You're spot on, they DID serve dried fish as well for breakfast. :D
The problem see is that there wasn't any breakfast buffet, or maybe one time with anyway no choice at all (buffet meant you had to serve yourself to select the amount of rice and eggs you would put onto your plate), so we were most of the time served on a plate sometimes corned beef or dried fish :wink:... how's that for a breakfast on a 10.000Php/night room basis!!!

One more word about me, I travel 3 times a year in SEAsia, this has been for 20 years now, and usually like to eat local in small eateries whenever this is MY CHOICE, sharing local taste as you say. But for this, I go on my own and will certainly not eat to what presents itself as the most upmarket resort in Anilao.
When I'm paying 10.000php per night, I might figure there would be decent breakfast as well as a decent choice of food (btw, can I have your reply about that cartilage chunks floating in a supsicious sauce) , the important word here is choice. When I'm staying overnight at the Manila Hotel before driving to Anilao, and even though it's a filipino landmark, I am not expecting to be served ONLY dried fish or corned beef for breakfast. see my point...
That said I enjoyed the tripes/innard meal that was served once, you can guess from this statement I am not that fussy on food. I liked it better than the white cake tasting garlic, btw.

And upon speaking to the RM, she informed me that the stuffed turkey was really the planned dinner for all the guests in the resort at the time.
This is not true. We were the only ones to be served a whole stuffed turkey.

Locking of the dive shop at night is standard operating procedure for the safety of the scuba gear. Upon guests request any member of the staff can get a key to open the dive center if needed.
I believe not at 3 o'clock PM without prior notice while my stuff was drying inside!

Now Luko Really?… Your last paragraph seems like an attack on Aiyanar… Specially since during your stay there were no other Photographers in the resort for you to make a general comparison like that.

The Aiyanar Operations Staff i’d like to think goes out of their way for all our guests not just published photographers. I think proof of this is out of 20 reviews trip advisor reviews, only one or two are by published underwater photographers. Most are by our other guests who come to enjoy Aiyanar on a regular basis.
The facts buddy, is that the Tripadvisor reviews written under the photogs names are the only contributions they wrote on Tripadvisor. Maybe it was the only resort they visited in their lifetime or maybe not... :D These are JUST the facts.

I'm happy that you're on the improving path which can be sometimes steep, but something you need to read is my feeling about the general attitude. In other words it seems we have been some kind of guinea pigs, with a low level of service/food catering but for the same price than the other customers (didn't we pay 10.000php per night?).
I'm really happy to be confirmed I am a paying pig, which I knew anyway...

Last edited:
You're spot on, they DID serve dried fish as well for breakfast. :D
The problem see is that there wasn't any breakfast buffet, or maybe one time with anyway no choice at all (buffet meant you had to serve yourself to select the amount of rice and eggs you would put onto your plate), so we were most of the time served on a plate sometimes corned beef or dried fish :wink:... how's that for a breakfast on a 10.000Php/night room basis!!!
I won't complaint if it is Arbroath Smokies or Kippers instead of bangus!

Hi Marco
It seems to me you are shooting yourself in the foot with all this pr bs and I am sure that all the people here who know Anilao are :rofl2: with your diving price quotation :)
Jale
PS:Oui Luko une vraie arnaque :(

Interesting post from Marco's blog on his website:

"
[h=3]Some Pricing Advice… not just for Diving but for almost all forms of travel...[/h]
A quick review of my post history will show that… Here's one from One Diver/ Dive Pro… Dont complain if you cant afford… making up complains coz prices are too high just make you look… well… Either Poor… or Worse Stingy!…

Theres the Motel8 and there's a shangrila in every city… Stay where your wallet is comfortable instead of staying at an upmarket place and complaining about everything...

There's a place for everyone and everything… Kbow yours please… before someone blows their top and puts you there...

"

I am neither poor nor stingy. I just don't think it's fair for a guest to bear the entire cost of the boat due to a low turnout at the resort. That's the price of doing business. You put stuff out there for sale, if someone doesn't buy, do you ask others to pay double to compensate?

Insulting potential guests is probably not a great idea to win business.

Interesting post from Marco's blog on his website:

Theres the Motel8 and there's a shangrila in every city… Stay where your wallet is comfortable instead of staying at an upmarket place and complaining about everything...

There's a place for everyone and everything… Kbow yours please… before someone blows their top and puts you there...
Yep, very "nouveau riche" statement which implies that everything is expensive and looks blingbling should be good.
Either you have class or you don't, something money hardly buys. Stayed at the Oriental BKK, the Pen HKG, the E&O Penang, Raffles Phnom Penh, the Manila hotel...

...but the Aiyanar come on ... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom