Retractable or Coiled Cables for Flashlights, slates, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A light for example...

The style of it, together with the style BCD he is wearing it very relevant.

You are assuming he is wearing BP/W and has a tubular light with an attachment point in the end, maybe it is, I just missed that piece of information.

If you want to talk about what is ideal in gear configuration from scratch, that's a different story.
I prefer to stick to the facts, whenever possible!

A light for example...

The style of it, together with the style BCD he is wearing it very relevant.

You are assuming he is wearing BP/W and has a tubular light with an attachment point in the end, maybe it is, I just missed that piece of information.

If you want to talk about what is ideal in gear configuration from scratch, that's a different story.
I prefer to stick to the facts, whenever possible!

No, you prefer to insult those trying to help with the limited amount of information the OP made available.

As for the light, I've never seen a light that can't be neatly secured with clip and bungee to a bc of any style.

Wow, a bit sensitive are we???

I guess we have different understanding of what neatly means, let's leave it that, I don't want to "insult" or hurt your feelings.

No, you prefer to insult those trying to help with the limited amount of information the OP made available.

As for the light, I've never seen a light that can't be neatly secured with clip and bungee to a bc of any style.

Wow, a bit sensitive are we???

I guess we have different understanding of what neatly means, let's leave it that, I don't want to "insult" or hurt your feelings.

Yeah, this is an insult:

LMAO, no one even knows what kind of gear the guy has, typical scubaboard.

Why not join the discussion instead of throwing your mud and then running away under the guise of now suddenly wanting to be sensitive...share what your opinion on the topic is.

The only thing I use a retractor on is my spg, I found the bolt snap works good also but I like to just look at it and let it go and it retracts right where it should without any problems. Try both options and see what works best for you. Bolt snaps are much cheaper than retractors.

This is what you DON'T want retractors to cause:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123760&d=1336572765

The useful place for retractors is VERY limited. In almost all cases you'd be better served by a bolt snap and a piece of bungee.

Ouch that is harsh...that is pic of me quite a few dives back. I have replaced the SPG retractor with a bolt snap attached to upper left D ring where I can see it without detaching. Also I no longer carry that antique light on the shock cord but use a wrist bungie to carry the little one I take on most dives.

I think the main thing wasn't how untidy you looked in that picture. It's the fact that your light, on the retractor, was blocking off your octo. So, in an emergency/OOA situation, someone would've grabbed your octo and dragged you around trying to get air.

However, just looking at the picture, there are a LOT of things I'd tidy up before diving in kelp again. Nothing awful, and nothing nearly as bad as what many divers get away with, but little things here and there.

Again, the initial post didn't seem like an insult to you (in my opinion) at all. It was pointing out the retractor blocking the octo....which is dangerous for all parties involved.

I think the main thing wasn't how untidy you looked in that picture. It's the fact that your light, on the retractor, was blocking off your octo. So, in an emergency/OOA situation, someone would've grabbed your octo and dragged you around trying to get air.

However, just looking at the picture, there are a LOT of things I'd tidy up before diving in kelp again. Nothing awful, and nothing nearly as bad as what many divers get away with, but little things here and there.

Again, the initial post didn't seem like an insult to you (in my opinion) at all. It was pointing out the retractor blocking the octo....which is dangerous for all parties involved.

I took no offense, thought it was pretty funny a photo I posted a couple yrs ago as a "what not to do" example. I have picked up some tips here on the board changed the things that I agreed needed changing. That is why I read scubaboard...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom