Tiger Shark - Jupiter, FL 03/23/2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You Nega-feeders, please don't look @ these links............:)........Crudely presented-------but a video of a video I present you:...Fiji 2010 Beqa Lagoon....

14 ft Tiger----on 1st dive...

Feeding The 14' Tiger Shark Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

14' Tiger Shark---feeding It Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

18 ft'er came in on 2nd dive-------this was the 1st time the TS's had shown up in 3 weeks, & we Got 2......lol.....

18' Tiger Shark Feeding Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

18' Tiger Shark Feeding Video by GEAUXtiger | Photobucket

Didn't Darwin cruise by those waters?

Go ahead, keep doing it. While I will feel bad if some newbie tourist loses 10lbs of thigh meat, are you going to be offended if one of these Dive Masters loses a limb or worse and I laugh my arse off?

I'm a fan of sharks, but not a fan of baiting or feeding for reasons others have stated.
Complacency is bad. Perhaps our youthful and exuberant friend has never seen this..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 08:30 PM ----------

I'm a fan of sharks, but not a fan of baiting or feeding for reasons others have stated.
Complacency is bad. Perhaps our youthful and exuberant friend has never seen this..

I see the most graphic scenes were not shown. Nothing between the knee and ankle. When healed his leg looked like a meatless chicken bone....nothing between the knee and ankle to keep his foot from flopping when he walked. Ive seen Video of JA's dives and SC's dives. Very organized and disciplined, yet accidents and death has occurred. Randy's dive on the other hand appears to be a rag, tag accident waiting to happen.
"All you have to do is hit the sharks with a camera or speargun" What kind of comment is that? Well, on Bahamian dives guns are not permitted.

I see the most graphic scenes were not shown. Nothing between the knee and ankle. When healed his leg looked like a meatless chicken bone....nothing between the knee and ankle to keep his foot from flopping when he walked. Ive seen Video of JA's dives and SC's dives. Very organized and disciplined, yet accidents and death has occurred. Randy's dive on the other hand appears to be a rag, tag accident waiting to happen.
"All you have to do is hit the sharks with a camera or speargun" What kind of comment is that? Well, on Bahamian dives guns are not permitted.

Oh good God :bash:

There's a reason why if you mention Erich Ritter's name most credible shark experts will make you wear your dinner wine home on your shirt. I have objections to some of Randy's stunts, but what Ritter did there was MONUMENTALLY stupid. Randy is at least watching the sharks and is in a position to evade or fend off one that gets out of hand, like the tiger in that clip I posted (I'm not saying getting into that situation in the first place is safe, I'm just saying at least he has a chance). Ritter on the other hand was standing flat-footed in the shallows, presumably with bait in the water, not even watching where the sharks were or where the bait was relative to him, and presenting pale, uncovered meat. Randy in my opinion does play with fire and odds are he's going to get burned someday ... but that right there is jumping feet-first into a furnace. And then being shocked, shocked at ending up in the burn unit.

Oh good God :bash:

There's a reason why if you mention Erich Ritter's name most credible shark experts will make you wear your dinner wine home on your shirt. I have objections to some of Randy's stunts, but what Ritter did there was MONUMENTALLY stupid. Randy is at least watching the sharks and is in a position to evade or fend off one that gets out of hand, like the tiger in that clip I posted (I'm not saying getting into that situation in the first place is safe, I'm just saying at least he has a chance). Ritter on the other hand was standing flat-footed in the shallows, presumably with bait in the water, not even watching where the sharks were or where the bait was relative to him, and presenting pale, uncovered meat. Randy in my opinion does play with fire and odds are he's going to get burned someday ... but that right there is jumping feet-first into a furnace. And then being shocked, shocked at ending up in the burn unit.

I don't disagree with you about Ritter being a dick. but I wanted to point out not to be complacent. Lot of red meat speak going on here. I don't see all that much difference between the Ritter video and a disorganized Randy dive with guests Scattered around the bottom several minutes into the dive.

In this video one shark seems to get his 1st stage before Randy realizes it was there. Then a guest has to push it off with his go pro. I saw another one of his shark feeding vids where one came in behind without him knowing. Even while feeding the tiger, others were behind him.
And contrary to what Mickey stated, it appeared to me that the sharks were looking for a handout long before the divers ever settled on the bottom.
And lots not forget Randy's experience with that frenzied blowfish that took his digit, lol.

I don't disagree with you about Ritter being a dick. but I wanted to point out not to be complacent. Lot of red meat speak going on here. I don't see all that much difference between the Ritter video and a disorganized Randy dive with guests Scattered around the bottom several minutes into the dive.

In this video one shark seems to get his 1st stage before Randy realizes it was there. Then a guest has to push it off with his go pro. I saw another one of his shark feeding vids where one came in behind without him knowing. Even while feeding the tiger, others were behind him.
And contrary to what Mickey stated, it appeared to me that the sharks were looking for a handout long before the divers ever settled on the bottom.
And lots not forget Randy's experience with that frenzied blowfish that took his digit, lol.

Not knowing the fellow personally, I wouldn't call him a d:censored: for that instance; an idiot maybe, but I don't have the grounds from personal experience to call him offensive (except in terms of giving fellow marine biologists a bad name, which is indirect).

I'm not going to dispute the points you make about the safety measures or lack thereof; as I said above I think with the hand-feeding and nose rubs, especially when there's a whole crowd of sharks around, Randy is playing with fire and over time the odds are bound to go bad on him eventually. The puffer incident is a pretty good example and I wish he'd follow his own advice as presented in the account on the Emerald's website - http://www.emeraldcharters.com/stories.htm:

Please be officially advised: Do not mess with the animals; they will defend themselves.

I'd feel better if he toned it down a bit. As far as the customers, he typically gives them a "stay-back" distance (at least for while he's laying out bait) and will hit the buzzer if he sees you downcurrent of him. The last time I was out, when he baited off the stern of the Esso Bonaire, the rest of us were perched up on the fantail while he was down in the sand with the food. The Markus Groh incident at Tiger Beach gets brought up more than a few times as a reason not to get downcurrent of the bait. I'm not saying those precautions are adequate or strictly enforced, but you are warned. To me, it comes down to where the line is between the divemaster/captain's responsibility for your safety and your own recognition of your limits. That's a question I continue to ask myself about these dives.

I know I've seen posters on here try and direct inexperienced divers to the Emerald for shark dives, but I do not agree with that. I've got twelve years and ~450 dives under my belt, with about a fifth of those on Palm Beach County drift dives and quite a few diving solo out in white shark country, and I consider shark diving off the Emerald to be near the edge of my comfort level. In my opinion, one should not get on that boat unless they know what they're in for and accept that. I do it because quite frankly I've gotten to a point in my life where I want to get out and do the things I've wanted to since I was a kid. One of the incidental reasons I moved back to South Florida almost two years ago is that the things I want to see while diving are here, where I can go after them on any given weekend. I don't need to sink a few months' salary and a week of PTO for a one-shot trip to Tiger Beach or Bimini or Hawai'i or Cocos Island or Australia; I've got plenty of shark species to see on any given weekend, varying with the seasons, and once in a while some truly rare bucket list item like a whale shark or a great white will come through.

I retract my d$$$k comment, and will say he was foolish.

I'm late to the discussion, but did no-one catch that this idiot and pals were charged for their actions?
I have absolutely nothing good to say about this person.

Wildlife officials bust local divers feeding sharks by hand | www.palmbeachpost.com

Wildlife officials bust local divers feeding sharks by hand
By Christine Stapleton
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Four men face misdemeanor charges after undercover deputies and wildlife officials on two dive charter boats witnessed sharks being lured to the boats with milk crates filled with chum.
“This is a public safety issue,” said Major Camille Soverel with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. “The FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement wants to ensure these beautiful coastal waters remain safe for divers.”
The investigation began after the FWC received several complaints that sharks were being fed during dive charters off Palm Beach county. One diver said the sharks had become so aggressive that she had to get out of the water, according to and FWC news release.
According to the news release:
On Feb. 8 deputies from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office dive team went on a dive charter aboard Emerald Charters of Jupiter. During the dive deputies took video of Randall Jordan feeding sharks by hand within state waters. Jordan also used a milk crate filled with chunks of fish to lure sharks to his location, according to the news release. Jordan and the boat’s operator, Thomas Smith, were charged with operating a charter boat to allow passengers to observe fish feeding. Jordan was also charged with fish feeding.
On Feb. 22 deputies took another dive trip on the Miss Jackie, which was used by the Lake Park-based company Calypso Dive Charters. Deputies took video of the Luis Roman, the boat’s owner, feeding a goliath grouper and a lemon shark. The video also shows Roman attempting to lure sharks to his location by shaking a milk crate filled with barracuda chunks. Roman and the boat’s operator, Toni Crumrine, were charged with operating a charter boat to allow passengers to observe fish feeding. Roman was also charged with fish feeding.
Video of the two undercover dives has not been made public because the case has been turned over to prosecutors, according to FWC spokesperson Katie Johnson.
On Wednesday afternoon Emerald Charters posted about the charges on its Facebook page:
“On February 8, the FWC placed 2 undercover divers on the Emerald. They tracked us with a land based radar and video taped our Lemon Shark encounter. Lt Dave Bingham just met with me and gave me a ticket for feeding sharks in state waters. They determined I was 367’ off the line. Regardless, I am cited and will have to go to court. First of all, please let anyone know about this that wants to enrich their soul by celebrating my misfortune. I am still feeding sharks and educating divers about sharks. I’m sure after the press release and subsequent interviews, I will be more booked so talk it up! Come see us soon.”

Already discussing it in another thread; it kind of spilled over to here. Tends to happen whenever someone posts a video from the Emerald.

Calypso
I've never dove off of, but according to what I've heard the FWC tagged the Emerald as being 367' inside state waters. Last I heard Randy was considering what his options were. If he can make a case in court that the boat was in state waters but he and his divers were not when the feeding took place, or if there is reasonable doubt, I suspect he'll challenge the citation. Either way, he's said he won't do feeds there anymore. As to the rest of his operations, I've only run the coordinates on two adjacent sites (the Miss Jenny/Playpen barge and the Esso Bonaire) and both are just over half a nautical mile outside state waters, where there are no existing prohibitions on shark feeds.

As stated in my prior post, I am still on the fence about the safety level of these dives; I continue to go on them from time to time but that's at my own risk. Based on what is known and what has been presented I am not sold however on the idea that these feeds represent a clear threat to divers not participating in them.

So, you no longer ride in vehicles------fly in planes---or go outside when you think it's lightening 7 miles away???.........

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 07:19 PM ----------

I'm late to the discussion, but did no-one catch that this idiot and pals were charged for their actions?
I have absolutely nothing good to say about this person.

Wildlife officials bust local divers feeding sharks by hand | www.palmbeachpost.com

Wildlife officials bust local divers feeding sharks by hand
By Christine Stapleton
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Four men face misdemeanor charges after undercover deputies and wildlife officials on two dive charter boats witnessed sharks being lured to the boats with milk crates filled with chum.
“This is a public safety issue,” said Major Camille Soverel with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. “The FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement wants to ensure these beautiful coastal waters remain safe for divers.”
The investigation began after the FWC received several complaints that sharks were being fed during dive charters off Palm Beach county. One diver said the sharks had become so aggressive that she had to get out of the water, according to and FWC news release.
According to the news release:
On Feb. 8 deputies from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office dive team went on a dive charter aboard Emerald Charters of Jupiter. During the dive deputies took video of Randall Jordan feeding sharks by hand within state waters. Jordan also used a milk crate filled with chunks of fish to lure sharks to his location, according to the news release. Jordan and the boat’s operator, Thomas Smith, were charged with operating a charter boat to allow passengers to observe fish feeding. Jordan was also charged with fish feeding.
On Feb. 22 deputies took another dive trip on the Miss Jackie, which was used by the Lake Park-based company Calypso Dive Charters. Deputies took video of the Luis Roman, the boat’s owner, feeding a goliath grouper and a lemon shark. The video also shows Roman attempting to lure sharks to his location by shaking a milk crate filled with barracuda chunks. Roman and the boat’s operator, Toni Crumrine, were charged with operating a charter boat to allow passengers to observe fish feeding. Roman was also charged with fish feeding.
Video of the two undercover dives has not been made public because the case has been turned over to prosecutors, according to FWC spokesperson Katie Johnson.
On Wednesday afternoon Emerald Charters posted about the charges on its Facebook page:
“On February 8, the FWC placed 2 undercover divers on the Emerald. They tracked us with a land based radar and video taped our Lemon Shark encounter. Lt Dave Bingham just met with me and gave me a ticket for feeding sharks in state waters. They determined I was 367’ off the line. Regardless, I am cited and will have to go to court. First of all, please let anyone know about this that wants to enrich their soul by celebrating my misfortune. I am still feeding sharks and educating divers about sharks. I’m sure after the press release and subsequent interviews, I will be more booked so talk it up! Come see us soon.”

Well....go out to Federal waters...Off Louisiana that's only about 8 or 9 miles out.........

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 07:27 PM ----------

Didn't Darwin cruise by those waters?

Go ahead, keep doing it. While I will feel bad if some newbie tourist loses 10lbs of thigh meat, are you going to be offended if one of these Dive Masters loses a limb or worse and I laugh my arse off?

Those DMs are from the island of Beqa Lagoon, Fiji--where---as part of their heritage they are not afraid of sharks...That was originally why the South African who came up with the idea 10+ years went to them 1st---& them only..........Also, they have never had a shark attack incident in their years, not a bad safety record.........Feed me another line of bull, please........

EDIT:.btw, the South African was on the dive & one of the one's feeding them-----with both hands, arms, feet , & legs fully attached.......:)

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom