lightweight, no bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My beloved Oceanic Omega has finally gone beyond recovery and it's time for me to buy a new reg. I've been borrowing and using hire regs for the limited amount of diving I've been able to do the last few months, but after yesterday's near disaster, I'm ready to buy something for myself.

I always have a camera with me underwater and would like something that doesn't let the bubbles go right up my face. Honestly, the hire reg cheapie I used in Bali was a lovely reg, just a bit bulky & didn't have a great mouthpiece - so I don't need super high end, I don't think. Just something reliable & easy.

No real clue where to start as I haven't bought a reg for personal use in many many many years! Any direction would be great.

I'd be surprised if your Omega is actually beyond repair. But, if it is, you can get the Hollis 500SE, which is basically the same thing, or wait a short time for the Omega 3. Either one will be pretty darn nice.

Hmm, I was actually thinking of moving away from the side vent as sometimes I would get very annoying bubbles. But I haven't used a "normal" reg enough yet to see if that will be the same or worse...

In that case your options are unlimited.

Probably should just buy a rebreather though, do away with those bubbles! :wink:

An option for a conventional reg might be Atomic's new Z3. The 2nd stage is composite/titanium so it's pretty light. It also has the Atomic 2nd stage swivel which makes it much more comfortable - I have one on my T2. 2 year/300 dive factory recommended service interval also. Atomic Aquatics Z3 Swivel Regulator at LeisurePro - $529

Atomic also sells a wide exhaust port that's designed to route bubbles further away from your face. I believe it snaps onto any of their 2nd's but check. Atomic Aquatics Regulator Essential Accessories

If you really want no bubbles in front of you, the doublehose is by far the best answer. It is a completely different feel, though, and quite sensitive to dive position and BC/tank mounting. So there's a learning curve to using one. If you can find a doublehose diver in your area to get some help from, that would be a good idea. Lacking that, spend some time on vintagedoublehose.com and you'll get lots of advice. The argonaut is perfect for someone in your situation.

Back
Top Bottom